Chapter 10: A medic's purpose

Within a few minutes, after some kicking and shooting at troopers that came into my way, I entered the huge kitchen of the castle. Panting loudly and grasping my arm which had been crazed by a shot, I made my way towards Eugene who was sitting on one of the tables while being examined by a droid.

There were other patients, mostly troopers, that were being treated by those machines they called med droids. Only they were shielded from my sight by huge white curtains they had set up there.

"Val'kyr?" Eugene's eyes widened at my chaotic appearance. He on the other hand looked rater well, there was a rosy tint to his cheeks and his eyes had their fire back. I didn't know what that droid gave him, but it surely helped.

"Can you walk?" After taking a look at his chest I sighed in relief, they had treated his lung which could now heal properly.

"Yes, I think so." Eugene demonstrated it by setting his two feet on the floor.

"We need to get out of here, now." I said after slashing the droid in half with my sword, earning a shocked gasp from Eugene.

"But why now? What happened?" His eyes widened while looking at me.

Grasping his arm and dragging him towards the door I entered through, I tried my best to ignore the reappearing pain in my leg. "Let's just say the jedi don't like me that much anymore."

I opened the door quickly, my eyes darting through the hall and finding four other sets staring back at me.

"Oh, dear." I was frozen in place after noticing that it was the captain, Cody and Obi-Wan himself. They too were dumbfounded for a while but the jedi collected himself rather quickly.

"Stop right there!" Obi-Wan started to charge at us with his saber ready, followed on his heel by his troopers.

I swiftly closed the door, leaning my back against it while trying to catch my breath. "Not that way." I concluded and shoved a table before the door, hearing a loud banging soon after.

"Where exactly are we going?" Eugene followed me towards the other door on the right that led to the royal quarters of the castle. "'Cause for as far as I know, that only takes us higher."

"I don't know Eugene, I'm improvising!" I groaned while running up the stairs, occasionally aiding Eugene because he couldn't run that fast. When we were on the top of those stairs, I grasped a grenade from my belt.

"What the hell is that?" Eugene asked when he saw the round little thing in my hands. We didn't have grenades on our planet but luckily enough my father taught me some things about the foreign galaxies and planets.

"They call it a grenade." I took off the pin and threw it behind us, hoping to slow Obi-Wan and his crew down.

I knew we wouldn't lose Obi-Wan with running and grenades alone. So I came up with another plan. "Aidan? There's been a complication." I turned my commlink back on while leading Eugene and me further up the stairs.

"Of course there's been a complication." He said, his voice loaded with annoyance. "What is it now?"

"I need you to pick me and Eugene up on my balcony." I said. "Only you, Stefan's leading the others through the sewers."

The grenade went off behind us. I could hear the stone walls falling apart and crashing down, followed by a few surprised shouts from the troopers. Weirdly enough I was hoping that they either got trapped or that the rubble would have blocked their way instead of it falling onto them.

"What, scared of a little stench now?" Aidan chuckled. "You've got it, sis."

"Thanks Aidan." I sighed in relief as we arrived in front of my room. I opened the door, letting Eugene and me through it and then immediately locked it again behind us.