Chapter 38: Fate

The entire sky was clouded with hundreds of wings as all the people flew away to their families with my message. A message of hope, a promise of a better future. I could hear Aidan chuckle next to me as he too watched in amazement. Or, because he was just happy to be alive. I glanced aside and watched as his eyes glistened with joy. He felt my gaze and met my eyes soon after, his grin widening.

"Happy you didn't kill me?" He raised his eyebrow and patted my shoulder. He winced slightly with each movement, his other hand rising up to the burn marks on his arms.

"You have no idea." I only answered, stepping closer and patting his chest. Right now, I couldn't believe I even attacked him in the first place and felt a sting in my heart when I saw the red spots on his skin. He nodded and scoffed, looking to the ground for a moment. He was deep in thought, it seemed. "Something wrong, Aidan?"

He took in a deep breath and straightened his back, his hands going to his head to lift the crown off of it. He stared at in for a moment, twisting it around in his hands. "From the moment I got it I didn't understand why I ever would've wanted it." His thumb traced the golden patterns of the embroidered feathers. "Here, it's yours. You've earned it." His mind seemed to clear.

"Oh, no no no." I quickly pushed his hand back to his chest and patted it lightly. "That's yours." I pushed it away again for good measure. "I'm not a queen." Chuckling I shook my head, stepping back with my hands raised. "Nor do I want to be, ever."

"Lyanna." Aidan shook his head disapprovingly. "You've won the Mak'Gora." He looked back at the crown in his hand until an idea seemed to pop up in his head. He grasped it tight in his hands and then tried to break it.

"Aidan! What are you doing?!" I quickly grasped the crown in between his hands.

"You said we'd rule together so that's what we're going to do. Now, help me get this thing in two." He seemed stead-fast in his actions. I watched him in bewilderment but then scoffed and closed my eyes and concentrated. I could feel the gold melt beneath my fingers and then the crown slowly separating in two different pieces.

"Happy?" As the gold dried I put the half on my head, letting it rest on my red hair.

"Never better." Aidan followed my example and pressed it on his head, cautious not to burn himself. A smug grin appeared on his face as he bowed slightly before me in demonstration.

"You two look like you've settled your differences." Stefan made his way through the crowd towards us. A simple smile covered his face as he slightly bowed before us. "Your majesties." When he got up again his gaze fixed on me. "Even though I am happy to see you like this, there are urgent matters for us to turn to. Arthas Blackwing is preparing his army as we speak so so should we. But aside from that, Lyanna, I have something to show you."

'Will I like it?" I raised my eyebrow.

"You will, trust me." Stefan chuckled and then turned towards the exit, motioning for me to follow him.

"I will make sure we'll have room to harbour the incoming troops." When I glanced at him Aidan gave me a nod of reassurance. He himself turned towards his kingsguard, already setting things in motion.

"All right, but make sure that you see a doctor for those burn marks!" I yelled at his back and then turned back towards Stefan. "I still can't believe all of this just happened." I spoke softly as I caught up with Stefan's pace. As we made our way out of the arena, all surrounding people quickly parted for us and bowed their heads and put their hands to their chest. "It's all one big blur." As if to worsen it, the wings of everyone in the streets made it almost impossible to see where he was taking me.