Chapter 37: Mak'Gora

Mak'Gora. An ancient tradition left from the old times, where two members of the royal family fight over the throne of Valeria to the death. It was first reinstated when a mad king ruled the land and the only way to beat him was to use his pride against him. Where Aidan first could've refused because I wasn't an officially recognized royalty, my flaming wings now proved quite the opposite. He was the usurper, not me.

Where before the journey had taken two days' time I now arrived just before dawn. The path I had taken wasn't densely inhabited, but those few that saw the fiery wings flying over their houses like a comet across the nights' sky immediately followed. The legend of the phoenix was still fresh in their mind and they wouldn't pass the opportunity to follow such a warrior. Even though they shouted at me with glee, admiration and vigour I didn't even spare them a second glance. No, my eyes and my thoughts were fixated on just one thing.

When Eagle's Fall came into view I could still see the smoke rising from the collapsed buildings but it seemed as if the rebellion had ended. The red and orange banners that before hung threatingly over the buildings had been removed and possibly burned to ashes.

As I landed in the midst of the arena of Eagle's Fall together with those that followed me, I looked around and saw that many had already gathered. It wasn't a surprise, for they could've seen the ball of fire coming from miles away. They watched me either in amazement or in fear as the entire arena was being warmed by the heat that was coming off of me. It didn't take long for the royal guards to arrive together with a patrol, leading their king to his challenger that was waiting all too eagerly for his arrival.

Before the whole patrol arrived Stefan appeared between them and walked towards me, his face covered with a worried expression. "Lyanna?" He stopped a few feet away from me, glancing at me warily when he saw the orange and yellow colour of my eyes. As I tried to hide from the emotions he stirred up in me, I only glanced at him momentarily before turning back in the direction where Aidan was supposed to appear.

"Lyanna, think about what you're doing." He tried to reason. He was wearing the tabard of the Stormrages, his usual uniform. Where before it brought me a sense of security, he now only awakened more anger in me.

"I have, Stefan." I glanced away from him quickly when he continued to stare at me. He was my closest friend, yet now I couldn't stand the sight of him wearing my brother's sigil.

"He's your brother." Stefan's brows drew together. "You grew up with him, that has to mean something." His words almost got stuck in his throat. I only glanced at him for a moment before turning away again. "You know I'll always support you but this is wrong." When I made no comments whatsoever he gave up, making him slouch his shoulders in defeat and return to his men. As more and more arrived, soldiers and citizens both, they took their places in the arena and watched in anticipation as the King's patrol arrived.

His soldiers walked around the edges of the arena till they were all surrounding me. "Aidan!" I yelled when he still hadn't entered my vision. "Show yourself, you coward!"

Clouds gathered right on cue, their colour darkening as they thickened threatingly and a low hum of thunder rang through our ears. The crowd tensed immediately and tried to shield themselves from the heavy rain that started to fall, glancing up in fear of the lighting that would soon follow. I, however, remained standing proudly with my burning wings behind me when Aidan emerged from the clouds and landed gracefully right in front of me.

He stood up just as proud as me, his grey/blue eyes narrowed as he stretched his wings behind him. Where before he had been my brother, he now only reminded me of his traitorous father. He had the same stern look in his eyes and grey wings, the same powers he used to oppress the people. Aidan looked around at the crowd that had gathered, seeing the banners they had already managed to collect that coloured the arena blue and red and sighed before he turned back towards me.