Chapter 22

*Marinette's POV*

Marinette was nervous as she stood in front of the building. She looked back at Alya who gave her a thumbs up. Taking a deep breath, Marinette opened the door and walked inside.

The strong breeze slammed the door hard as soon as she entered, causing everyone inside to stare at her. Marinette stood there awkwardly trying to come up with a response.

Thankfully, Alya came in right after her. "What are you people staring at?" Her best friend snapped. Everyone immediately returned back to their normal conversation.

Marinette looked around for Adrien but saw that he wasn't there yet. Alya noticed the look on her friend's face.

"So, Marinette," Alya said, elbowing the girl. "Where's your kitty-to-be?"

Marinette blushed. "I-I don't know... he said he was coming,"

"You didn't even deny it, girl!" Alya exclaimed. "Adrien Agreste is gonna be your future husband!"

"Alya!" Marinette said, clamping a hand over Alya's mouth. 

Alya took Marinette's hand off of her mouth. "Nobody even heard me, girl! They're all busy talking!"

"But still, Alya..." Marinette said, trying to come up with a good reason for her arguement.

"If he disses on you, I'm gonna beat him up," Alya said.

"Alya!" Marinette exclaimed. "What?" Alya said, shrugging innocently. "It's true,"

Marinette sighed, staring outside. Adrien, love of my life, where are you?

*Adrien's POV*

"Wait..." Adrien said, trying to process the words for the tenth time. "This is a fashion show?"

"Yes, yes," Vincent the photographer said. "Did your mama not give you spaghetti for breakfast?"

Wait a minute... that gave me an idea! A painful one, but I'll do anything for My Lady.

"I don't have a 'mama'," Adrien said replied immediately.

"Oh... " Vincent said awkwardly. 

"She was gone a year ago," Adrien said, trying to create some drama. "And every time someone hugs their mom, I look at myself and see that I have none."

Tears streamed down his face. "I miss her every second I'm alive. And right now, you just reminded me of her." 

Adrien ran out of the room, leaving Vincent to himself. He ran toward the place where the gaming contest was held and was right in front of it, thankful that his distraction had worked.

He wiped off his face with his sleeve and walked inside with a grin. "Hello, My Lady,"

*Marinette's POV*

All hope was drained from Marientte's face as she saw it was their turn. He's not coming, she thought, feeling betrayed. Those feelings vanished when she heard the voice she longed to hear.

"Hello, My Lady," Adrien said, walking inside with a grin. Marinette ran over, hugging him. "You stupid cat, you shouldn't have been late. You got me worried over here."

"Worrying about me? Wow, our relationship escalated quite fast, My Lady," Adrien replied with a grin.

Marinette was about to reply when Adrien hugged her back. "It's alright, My Lady. No need to worry about this cat."

Adrien cut her off as she was about to talk again. "We better up our game My Lady, this is gonna be tough. But nothing is tough for the bug and cat team!"

Marinette smiled, following after Adrien into the gaming room. "You finally admitted that it was the bug and cat team,"

"Anything for you, My Lady," He said with a wink, sending her blushing.

The host, Alec Cataldi, handed her and Adrien their controllers. "Are you ready?" He said towards the cameraman. "This year's contest is going to be tricky! This year, we have a twist. Our gamers are going to play unreleased games. Games that no one ever played yet,"

Games that no one ever played yet, Marinette thought. We're not going to make it, we're not going got make it, we're not going to-

Marinette's thoughts got cut off by Adrien who put his hand on top of hers. "It'll turn out great, Marinette, trust me."

Marinette smiled back, reassured. "Thanks, Adrien,"

"Ready for the countdown?" Alec said. "10...9...8...7...6..."

5...4...3...2...1...

"Let the game begin!" Alec exclaimed. 

Let the game begin, Marinette thought. We'll see who wins, Adrien and I vs... LAST YEARS CHAMPIONS?

We are definitely going to fail this. Definitely.