Chapter 36

Winter's POV

     After I entered the house, I slipped on some running shoes, and Landon followed in step. He and I said nothing as we ran in human form. The pain was pronounced, but it's the only thing keeping me from being void of anything. Thoughts raced in my mind, no direction. Illogical thoughts, mean thoughts, scared thoughts. 

   We were deep in the forest when Landon stopped me abruptly. He was panting, and seemed guilty.

   "Winter we can't keep running." He managed between breaths. My chest heaved as his did. That's when all of my emotions came bubbling to the surface. That look he gave, the knowing look. 

   "Why?!" He had his hands on his hips, his face scrunched up. 

   "Because." He was attempting to control his heaving. "Because, it's getting late. Because no matter how hard you try, it's still inevitable that we face it." The words I hated, but knew were true.

   "I don't get it Landon." I held my hands on my hips, shaking my head in disbelief. "Why all of a sudden is it relevant?" Eden was idle. "Why did they throw me away like I was a burden?" My voice cracked. My body trembled. This new feeling of sorrow filled every part of me. "It wasn't my fault that I'm not perfect. It's not my fault that I can't remember anything. It's not my fault. Why am I hated so much?" He had his breathing under control, staring at me. "I don't remember you." I shoved him angrily. "Why did it get chosen for me! Why do you people think it's just okay to break a person!" He was shoved again, his body moving back a few feet. He stayed, staring at me, jaw clenched, face in pain. "Fight back!" He grabbed my hands this time, and brought me into a hug. I fought against him, but he held me tight. Tears wouldn't stop, and I shook as if in the snow. 

   "Winter." He and I met the ground, him sitting while holding me. "You get mad when people don't ask you questions for an answer they seek." He seemed so pained. "Just ask me." His voice shook.

   "What did I do wrong?" I leaned back into him, his grip not moving. 

   "You didn't do a thing. It was some very bad people who wanted to wipe out the royal family. Everyone knew you were the runt, the one who couldn't act the way royals are expected." His breathing under control. "You've been different since we were kids. You were the only one blessed by powerful things. You were born with the mark." He sighed, and I looked at him. "A mark that sent things out of control." He shook his head, letting me go.