Chapter 45

Kaine's POV

   I watched Winter go from satisfied and happy, to depressed and angry.  She had walled up the connection Link and I have with her, not allowing anything in or out. That takes strength and strong anger or pain. She is a very observant person, picking up on the slightest change in tone or speech. George was a dead giveaway. I suppose after what had happened, Link was informed. He didn't mention it to me, so I looked at him confused. He held shame in his eyes.  

    Gwen had snapped at Winter, what happened to a mothers love? She seemed suspicious about what she had been speaking of, as if she was the cause of the attempts on Winter's life since birth. George had grabbed her hand, shocking her. Shitty marriage for shittier people. He was sending us back, he was sending us to our possible doom. All without a second thought or doubt. All to draw out people, using us as bait?

   When Winter left the room, it was silent. My hands shook with anger flowing through me. How could they treat their own daughter in such a way. As if she was nothing to them, only an accident? They got pregnant with another child soon after they sent her away, as if to try again and do right by the goddess. It's wrong, so wrong. 

   Todd seemed the most angry of all, his breathing was heavy. His body shook gently. Something in his mind seemed to connect, and all of a sudden he was calm. Had he come to the same question as me? Were they the cause of Winter almost dying all the time?

   I stood up, losing my appetite and want to be in the same room as those things. If the royals fall, it's their fault. It isn't Winter's job to piece them together again. Her job is find herself, trust herself. Her job is to be a kid still, not an adult like what she's forced to be. They are sending us at our weakest, leaving it all on Winter. Again.

   "Kaine." Gwen said, watching me go to the entrance. She seemed to like me for some reason. "Kaine, I didn't mean what I said. Please tell her, I want to speak to her." She seemed so emotional.

   "I will tell her nothing. You all deserve nothing from her, not even her time or thought. You are all scum in my book. You sent her away without thought of what it would do to her." She growled.

   "You know nothing!" 

   "I know you don't treat your children the way you people do. I know that you don't treat someone who needs a little more time, horribly. I know that you don't use someone based on a fucking false hope from a stupid fucking goddess that no one has ever fucking seen! You people lie all of the time, you act as though nothing pertains to you." My body shook, my heart slammed in my chest. "You expect her to want to be here, to want to be your kin? You are very fucking stupid if so, she owes you nothing. She is possibly the most important person in this entire fucking world, and you use her. You abuse her. You threaten her with empty, pathetic threats. She's not a fucking coward like you people. She wouldn't leave her own child if she had to. She wouldn't use someone so willingly. She is the purest wolf alive, and you fucked up. That's why your stupid fucking goddess 'blessed' her. She's the best of us, with the kindest heart and will rein better than you scum with the support of the nation. You are undeserving of her kindness or time. You are undeserving of her attention and commitment. You are undeserving to have anything you hold dear." I don't think I've ever been this angry.