nine

b.b

     Bianca breathes in and out heavily when she sees Jax at his locker wearing headphones. She knows what she has to do, but she doesn't want to do it. Confronting Jax after what happened during Alya's party makes her legs wobbly. Jax probably thinks she wants to talk about the car conversation; he'll probably run away again.

But what she needs to tell him is far more important than what happened when they were freshmans at the moment. She just doesn't know how to say it. How do you tell an old friend something big and important when the conversation you had with them before didn't go well? Bianca has to do it fast; get it over with and then she never has to speak it him again.

She takes another deep breath, then steps closer. Jax seems to not notice her coming because of his headphones. Or maybe he's pretending. Bianca is now standing next to him with the biggest piece of information she's ever had to deliver.

"Jax, we need to talk."

Without looking he replies, "I can't."

How did he hear me? Bianca thinks. He's got headphones on. Probably listening to DJ DiamondMind.

"I need to tell you something," Bianca says seriously.

This time Jax finally takes off his headphones. "If this is about what happened at Alya's party, I don't want to talk about it."

Jax almost slips his headphones back on, but Bianca grabs his wrist with force. He scrunches his brows and squints his eyes at her hand touching him. Jax stares at her for a moment, then yanks his arm away. The irritated look Bianca gets from him almost makes her want to not tell him, but she remembers Scarlett and Kit and she doesn't want to let them down.

"Jax, Kit wants you to be DJ DiamondMind," Bianca spits out.

Jax smiles, but she knows it's sarcasm. "In case you didn't notice Bianca, Kit isn't here anymore."

"Jax would you just listen to me for one second without getting defensive." Bianca's anger and frustration rises.

Jax lightly rubs his forehead. "How did you talk to her? When did you talk to her?" he says calmly.

"I didn't talk to her. I talked to Scarlett."

"Then how does she know Kit wants me to be DJ DiamondMind?"

"Because they happened to talk about it to each other before she passed. Kit wants you to be DJ DiamondMind for her."

Jax rubs his forehead again and his eyes water. Bianca bites her lip. She wants to hug him so bad, but knows if she goes in for a hug, he's going to push her away.

"Jax?" Bianca tries to comfort him.

He shakes his head. "I-I just go please. I need a moment."

Bianca's eyes go round and soft. She frowns at Jax and she balls her hands up to resist the urge to throw her arms around him and hold him. Jax fumbles with his headphone chord and phone while Bianca's still watching him. He stops and looks at her again.

"What are you doing? I told you to go?" he says annoyed.

Bianca scratches her neck. "Sorry I just wanted to-never mind, I'll go."

As Bianca walks away to English class, she looks back at Jax one last time. He's leaning against the lockers wearing his headphones and twirling the chord around. Jax looks like he's on the verge of crying and that makes Bianca want to hug him no matter what. But she shakes her head and continues on to class.

After English, she runs into Scarlett.

"Did you tell Jax?" Scarlett asks.

"Yes."

"What did he say? Is he gonna be DJ DiamondMind?"

"He didn't take it well. I think he just misses Kit. A lot."

Scarlett nods. "Well thanks for telling him anyway. I'll see you later."

Bianca grins and leans in for a hug. "See you."

As she hugs Scarlett, Bianca catches Jax watching them and he's actually smiling. She catches his eye and they grin at each other.