Chapter Ten

Thank you so much for making this gorgeous banner ThereseWinters28 it's awesome!

If you would like to send in your banners for a special mention, my email is open! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1893

~Alaya

I keep glancing behind me; each time confirming that the safe with all the money is actually real.

My mind spins with options. I could take the money to Sky, but she would send me straight to the police, who would ask where it came from. The answer is, I don't know. After the party last night - which obviously did not have a memorable enough ending for me to remember it - I feel dazed and delirious.

There is no way I intentionally took this money. I even lock my doors and windows at night, so I can't imagine someone breaking in. Who would leave me millions of dollars anyway? Nothing makes sense...

So, I'm going to do something terrible. I'm going to get rid of the money.

I pulled the car to the side of the road, glad no one else is down here. I would be worried if they were. This part of the Pack is only small, and basically deserted. A thin river cuts its way through the left side, being one of the only natural features this Pack has to show off. No one will come down here.

No one will find it.

I swing my door open, my feet coming to touch the gravel outside. The air is clearer out here, fresher. Maybe I should come out here more often, considering how silent it seems, like the rest of the Pack is taking a break from the main city.

The safe is heavy as I drag it from my back seat. The river is hidden in rushes and bracken I have to weave my way through to reach the bank. If the safe wasn't so heavy, I would have have admire the glistening water, clearer than I've seen in this Pack. Where it leads, I'll never know.

All I do know, is this better be deep enough to conceal a dark safe.

Does this make me a criminal? I don't care. If someone is trying to pin something on me, for whatever reason, then they have failed. I don't hesitate as I toss the safe with all my strength into the river.

It hits the surface violently, a loud splashing vibrating through the clear air. A few drops hit my arms, making me shiver. This is serious. I have to get out of here before anyone find out what I've done. If it ever comes down to it, I don't think that money will be going anywhere. Eventually it might waste away, and all that money would be washed down the stream.

Quickly, I turn, making my way back to my car.

***
Four months later.

"Happy birthday!"

I shake my head at Sky and Dylan - her husband, the banker - as they clap and cheer over a very pink, very decorated cake. Carter had already taken a slice and sat down in the lounge to eat it. I hadn't expected them to be able to pull off a surprise like this. My entire apartment is dressed in a multitude of coloured streamers and pink signs.

It's not my kind of thing, but lately Carter has been too busy to hang out and Sky has just announced her pregnancy, and I've been the last thing on her mind.

"My big sister is twenty three!" Sky says excitedly, rounding the table to come over to me. "When are you going to find your mate?"

"Sky," Dylan scolds.

Dylan looks like a banker. There is something about him that just does. Maybe it's his slicked back brown hair and sallow under eyes from all the concentrating he has to do. He's kind though, which is on the top of my list for my sister's boyfriends.