Chapter Thirty Seven

This banner is so awesome, I love it! Thank you so much to smartypantsthatsme for sending this in! (:

Word Count: 2033

*Suggestive Content*

~Alaya

I'm still not sure about anyone in the room.

Myle's offered us both dinner, but Aspen was the only one to accept. Right now, I don't think I would be able to stomach anything. Dawn seems kind enough, however, just the look of Coen makes me nervous. It makes sense that he is related to Kaden by how close their resemblance is.

It's just the looks he gives me from across the room. There is something about him that I don't like. I just can't put my finger on it.

"Tomorrow, we can talk about what everyone's plans are," Myle's says, emerging from the corridor as Aspen just finishes what he was eating. "You both have been through enough. You need some rest."

Glancing at Aspen to make sure he was okay with this proposal, I take the blankets.

Turns out, one of us was to take a bed and the other a couch. After a lot of argument and stubborn attitude, Aspen took the bed. I wasn't about to let him sleep on the couch right now. He's wanted, and not alive either, so he's going to need all the energy he can get tomorrow, when we make another run for it.

At some point in the middle of the night, I began to regret everything.

My back ached from some unsourceable lump on the couch, and the moonlight through the curtainless window couldn't be anymore distracting. With everyone in the house still, I started to overthink these facts more - even the heat of the room - until I stood and walked to the window, heaving it open.

It is beautiful here, even though it's just trees and grass. Something about the seclusion is so peaceful and untouchable, as if the trees are an impenetrable fortress.

There are no real thoughts in my mind as I clamber out the window.

It's cool here, in Time's territory. I'm not sure how climates work in the immortal lands, without any magic to keep the place warm without the sun. Here though, the cold seems more brittle, raising gooseflesh on my arms as I step out into the grass. As I breathe deeply, it does everything to clear my mind of all my problems right now.

I take a few steps into the silken grass before I collapse down on it. Despite the cold, I could almost fall asleep on this bed of softness.

Short, huffed breath jerks me back up to sitting position.

I could see his eyes before anything, glinting through the shadows that consume the edge of the trees. Brilliant, molten gold. Then I see his body, as he leans against a close by tree, the muscular slopes of his arms glistening with a slight sheen of sweat. Another slight detail I couldn't help but notice was his complete and utter nakedness.

I close my eyes, unsure of how to react. The streak of fear I got from the first moment I met his eyes, is slowly fading. Now, I'm left feeling empty, as if I've lost every motive that I once had.

There's sadness there too. For Aspen.

We both just watch each other for a moment. There is no way I could escape and save Aspen at the same time. I'm trapped under the magic of that golden gaze, that does not hold the intention of letting up. I do, however, ensure my gaze is safely away from any incriminating part of him. He's just shifted. At least I hope that explains his bareness.