Chapter Thirty

Thank you for sending this awesome banner in SanaaMahfud much appreciated!

My email is open if you would like to send your banners for Asher in! Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1794

~Alaya

"Drink?"

My gaze stalks after Sinful, careful of every move he makes. I'm waiting for him to bring that knife out again so I have a reason to flee from him. I simply sit in a chair in front of him, my back pin straight, my knee folded over my thigh.

"I'm fine," I murmur. He doesn't get one for himself, either.

"I'm sorry you had to witness that, today," he says gently, his tone like silken honey, however, every hint of it reminds me of the state of Cyprian when the immortal was done with him. "But it was necessary."

Somehow I doubt that. I may only know Cyprian for his kidnapping and trickery, but Sinful's threats meant something else. For talking to me? For touching me? The thought of it has made me sick to my stomach ever since I got back here. It's a muted kind of sick though. The magic of this place has my emotions on standby, ready to hit me in the face if Sinful saw fit.

Sinful stands directly in front of the fireplace, that roars brilliantly. The vivid orange halo gives him a lazy, seductive edge as he gazes down at me. We currently lounge in his quarters, only having just gotten back from Shanae's estate.

No matter how much I press Sinful for information, he seems just as shady as Asher does. He doesn't seem to be in great pursuit of the husband we made up, and when I asked what would happen to Shanae, he insisted I had been through enough, and didn't need to to know about that.

Bullshit.

"Do you do that kind of thing often?" I question, my fingers entwining in front of me nervously. To me, his reply matters.

He steps forward in a manner that has all my muscles tensing. Sinful has the kind of aura of anticipation that has no transparency. A part of me assumes he's about to flick that knife out again and use it on me this time.

He crouches in front of me. I keep my thighs tightly pressed together. "No, I don't do that often. Only when someone threatens something important to me."

I let his words take time to sink in. My importance to him hardly registers. We hardly know each other. In the immortal world, does a relationship typically take only a matter of a week or so to mean something? This man is all powerful, supposedly, with plenty of people completely afraid of him. And he's seeing me as important to him?

When I don't answer, Sinful sighs deeply, and places his hand on my knee in a questionably platonic way.

"It won't happen again, Alaya, not in front of you," he promises. I stay quiet. "What are you thinking?"

"I'm thinking that I'm confused, that I don't even know what to think. This is all catching up with me, and now I've been dragged into an issue between you and those people. I'm sure Asher hates me, I've had my memories stolen and I had to watch you torture someone. So you tell me what you've been thinking," I say in one breath.

Sinful seems to think for a moment. I had to quickly stop myself from saying I want to go home. This plan won't happen, whatever it may be, and I'll never see Sky again. Even though it's so tempting to get Sinful to send me home...