Chapter Forty Two

This banner is amazing, thank you so much to _Queen_Kiwi_ for sending this in!! Much appreciated (:

Word Count: 1765

~Alaya

I'm not sure what surprises me the most.

Sinful is a jerk. I know that much already, though. How he managed to make my plan go from somewhat brilliant to absolute trash that I'm too far deep in to revoke. He always managed to do it in record time - I assume when Asher and I were back in the mortal lands. Cunning. Manipulative. All these things I already know about Sinful, yet it still crashes over me like wave that I may have possibly stepped into a trap.

The next surprise to contest the former, is this utter stranger looking down at me. He definitely adds sense to the strange in that word. In some off sense, he reminds me of Fate, and maybe on a far stretch, Fate.

That relation is probably due to his hair.

Unlike Fate's extraordinary cobalt blue strands, the colour of this man's hair is a brilliant silver with the slightest undertone of minty green. At least that's what I assume it is, considering I can hardly look at it for too long without feeling like I'm breaking an unknown law. Back in the Desire Pack, I would have criticised the colour for being part of the dyed hair trend.

I know here, that can't be the case. This is something immortal. Just like how Fate has his hair colour.

He steps back, holding the door open into a large room filled with furnishings. From where I stand, it seems eerily normal. Normal doesn't go along with a Moon that harbours the souls of some of the most dangerous mortals there are.

"Please," he says, "Come in."

For a moment I'm stuck to my spot. Something about this man exudes confidence and trust, but this is a prison facility. I'm meant to be a criminal here until Sinful comes to save me. After this stranger's words, I'm not sure that's about to happen anymore. Especially since I'm his gift from Sinful.

He seems to notice my hesitation. I can only tell this when I finally move my eyes up to meet his. Naturally, they are spectacular, which doesn't seem to be a surprise considering that's a typical immortal trait. A glacial blue. Despite the colour being as sharp as ice, something about the way he looks at me is warm. I've known not to fall for the way someone looks at you. Sinful taught me that.

"I mean you no harm, only an explanation," he says carefully. Admittedly, I'm drawn to the tone of his voice. It's soft and delicate, as if it would break if he raised his voice.

At this point, what do I have to lose?

Slowly, I step into the room, looking around the room curiously. It seems as though this one room hold almost everything. A lounge area, a kitchen and dining. All that is missing is a bathroom and bedroom which must behind the door at the end. This looks like an apartment you would find at the top of your average high rise in the Desire Pack.

It's not a prison. Not a trap. It's a home, that I wouldn't have guessed belong to the male behind me if he wasn't standing there. In fact, it reminds me of my old apartment after I got my job. Average.

"What is this place?" I breathe, turning around on the spot. The stranger leans back against the door, arms crossed over his chest as he watches me silently.

"My room," he tells me tentatively. "Where I stay when I come to visit."

I turn, surprised by this for whatever reason. I don't know him at all, yet here I am, judging him. Of course this isn't his place, looking at how small and insignificant it is. This is an immortal we are talking about.