Chapter Thirty Six

This banner is crazy awesome!! Thank you so much to HolyBaloney for sending this in!

Word Count: 1815

~Alaya

I didn't get in the car straight away.

Instead, I stared the man down. My memories, even though they have been returned, are vague, and I don't remember a time where I trusted Myles. However, as Aspen stares me down, waiting for an answer, and I consider the coldness around us, and the likelihood that Asher would find us, I climb into the car.

My mind begs me to turn around, knowing Asher had Myle's working for him. At the same time, I remember Myle's trepidations toward whom he was working for. He claimed he didn't even know who was giving him the order.

I'm hoping my logic isn't as flawed as I have a feeling it is, but right now, it's this, or surely be caught.

"An explanation would be nice," I claim, as Aspen follows me into the car. His face is drawn off and bled of all colour. These past few hours can't have been easy for him at all.

"I'm here to take you away from here," he comments.

He steps on the gas, lurching the car forward. As uncomfortable as this may feel, Myle's is driving in the opposite direction to Asher and Sinful, which right now, is all I can ask for. Even if right now, his willingness to answer my questions seems vague and attached, but a part of me knows he has been like this from the start. When I met him all those years ago.

"I have a place you away from here. It's your choice whether you decide to stay there or not," Myles adds, looking at me through the rearview mirror. The more I look into those eyes, the safer I feel. It's an odd sensation I'm blaming on where he is from. We are both Desire Pack members.

"Why do this?" Aspen breathes from beside me.

Myle's sighs dramatically. "Why not?"

"For a start," I say tersely, "you work for Asher, don't you?"

He doesn't reply for a while, instead looking off through the window to the road. There are no other cars on the road at this time of the morning, which only makes the situation more eerie. Aspen seems to be feeling it as much as I am right now, by the way he sites close to me, as if being separated right now would surely bring him death.

"Not anymore," he replies. "Honestly. My work was once a year, however, Shanae killed me after you, and in return for helping you, Asher had me brought back as myself again. As an immortal."

I shake my head, still trying to understand. "How did you know this was happening?"

"I figured. I heard about his plan earlier, and I assumed after meeting you that you wouldn't allow that to happen. It was just a matter of when, which was harder to figure out," he tells me, sliding his hands down the line of the wheel. He's awfully casual for someone who is driving so fast. I can't help but be grateful for that though, as Sinful's mountain estate drowns more and more into the background.

My gaze meets his again in the mirror. Raising an eyebrow, I attempt to prompt him into telling me how he figured out what time Aspen and I would be scaling down that mountain, however, he keeps his mouth shut, entertaining me with only the sound of the car in the road.