Chapter Forty One

This banner is awesome, thank you so much PizzaSammy13 for making this for me! Much appreciated (:

Word Count: 1812

~Alaya

The process is simple.

Sinful strides around me, sliding a needle into the top of the small bottle. At least he has chosen a more pleasant way to take my life, considering how little he actually feels for me. We have a plan, which so far, is going smoother than I thought it would.

I tore my mind to pieces last night, as I lay beside Asher, hating myself. I'm sure one day he will understand why I'm doing this. Even if it means risking my life, it means saving another.

At least I have a chance of surviving. If Sinful goes along with the plan...

"Are you sure you are ready for this?" Sinful asks, pausing to stand directly in front of me. I glared up at him, knowing why he is asking this. Already, I'm tied down to this chair, ready to have my soul completely taken from me, and sent away to a prison up in the Moon. Sinful hasn't explained anything other than that to me. He said the surprise and suspense makes it the best part.

"You could always forget about the sacrifice and let both Aspen and I live," I say, watching him raise his eyebrows speculatively.

He smirks. "I wouldn't want the Moon to think I'm not doing my job. I stated that I would sacrifice fourteen souls this fortnight. I must do my job, Alaya"

I slump back in the seat, anticipating that as an answer. He cares more about his obligations than me, however, that makes sense, even though he agreed to this plan when he didn't need to. All the murderers and criminals who he sacrifices to the Moon are hardly anything on him. Sinful standing in front of me is the definition of pure evil.

How did he get me to fall for him?

"Any other words of advice?" I ask, genuinely hopeful that he would share something with me. He's been up to the Moon and I haven't. I'm not even sure if the Moon is just a place, a person or a completely different alternate reality.

"You shouldn't be up there long enough to need advice," he comments, pulling the syringe out of the bottle to inspect the tip of the needle.

My stomach turns looking at the medicine that will kill me. Even with the words of comfort he just offered in the most clinical of ways, the dark shadow looming over me does not offer any break. That needle will a fast acting poison which will hopefully knock me out straight away. Sinful promised it would be painful.

I'm not about to believe it until I've experienced it myself.

"I'm trusting you," I say softly, as Sinful crouches down beside me, holding my arm out, looking for a vein. "I hope I'm not making a mistake."

Sinful makes a strange noise from his throat. "I hope so too."

I breathe in deeply, wanting to say something to counteract his statement, however, he carelessly slides the needle under my skin, making me flinch. His grip is like a vice, keeping me still as he presses the poison down into my vein, leaving a disturbing blue trail along with it.

"When should I tell Asher about your absence?" Sinful asks. I didn't think about that, and right now is not the best time to decide. Right now, he assumes I'm swimming, while he is out visiting a nearby village in Sinful's territory.

"As soon as possible," I say through a grimace, feeling him extract the needle from my skin.

The wave of poison hit me square in the back of my head, reaching right to the top before it took away all the feeling in my limbs, filling my ears with static noise and my vision with bright colours. Either there is no pain to be felt, or my brain isn't capable of comprehending that right now.