6: let's get it on

July 9, 2011

Touring was a whirlwind that alternated between good and bad days. It had become a little easier and much better over time.

The tour officially began on June 30th, beginning at Stade de France in Saint-Denis, but before that, they performed on a French television show and were interviewed too.

And on the 24th and 25th, they did a couple one-off performances in Quebec.
Prince called those two shows warmups just to make performing sound easier to Andy.

But nothing seemed to change the fact that she was nervous. And Prince still took the shows very seriously.

Andy was learning guitar fast.
Turns out, it was pretty similar to an acoustic guitar in some ways.

It had the same chords and everything, the only standout difference was that it was electric and made different sounds

It had the same chords and everything, the only standout difference was that it was electric and made different sounds. Especially when she learned how to use the pedals.

Prince would come to her hotel room whenever they had a break to teach her new strumming techniques and some advanced skills.

Sometimes he'd be off to the side with her, showing her some things during soundcheck. And if they had some extra time, the two of them would stay behind before a show and practice on the empty stage.

It was a piece of cake.

But whenever she happened to make a mistake during performances, he'd shoot her a look.
Not a deathly glare or scowl, but he would look at her and let her know that she'd messed up.

Therefore, it was something that they would need to practice on together in free time.

Prince wasn't too hard on her, because he kept in mind that he invited her and she didn't have to come at all. Plus, she was a beginner and was very new to the electric guitar.

If anything he was proud of her, overall.

She was asked to come with him, and to sing and play in front of thousands upon thousands of people.

She was beyond her comfort zone.

Prince could see that.
He saw how comfortable she was just performing in front of just 40 people, and how intimate of a setting it was with just her and her acoustic guitar.

Andy had invited him to see one of the shows she had at the Fox and Goose in Sacramento before they left for Europe.

Prince had come to know and love that side of her and hated to take that away from her by snatching her up and taking her overseas, so he planned for her to perform a couple of songs some nights.