26: something new

November 16, 2011

Once leaving New York, Prince returned home to Minnesota and Andy went with him. After that long and very eventful streak of days they had, music was to be made.

The very same day that Prince had told her that he loved her for the first time, Andy wrote two songs in the span of four hours and presented them both to him.

Both songs were inspired by the experiences they'd went through in the week before.

One of the songs she'd titled When Stars Collide. It was basically a metaphorical song which explains how she and Prince - the stars - collided, ignited and eventually became more.

How they fell in love.

When Prince read the lyrics he commented on how inhibiting it sounded, and Andy's impeccable songwriting made it come together even more powerfully.

It was a song of love and how once it happened, there was no turning back -- you were on a fast road and there was no slowing down or stopping.
It talked about what it felt like to live in that moment and experience that type of new, kindled and fast love, it defined them perfectly.

That song was currently being figured out, besides lyrics, Prince and Andy were trying to corroborate and test different sounds for it.
But they both agreed that it would be a slow song as well.

As for the other song, it was already decided on how it would sound like. The tune came naturally as it was a song about the end of a long fought war.

When Andy showed the lyrics she'd written, Prince ended up helping her to finish it. She wrote one half and he wrote the other, resulting beautifully.

Today, they were recording a demo for it.
It was best that it was done as soon as possible because they wanted it to sound as fresh as it was when it was written just a few days ago.

Prince had called in the entire band minus Shelby, Liv and Elisa. They were gonna get this right in one take and complete it by evening.

Later on, Prince was going to go up into the studio and recreate a final version of the song himself, and with Andy too of course.
She would have to sing again.

"You ready?"

Prince flashed Andy a grin as he picked up his guitar and put the strap on.

She nodded.

Prince signaled for the band to begin playing and right on cue with the wave of his index finger, the music began.

It opened with the soft clashing of hi-hat cymbals and transitions into a soft rhythmic beat from the drums.

Prince said that he would overlay this with an acoustic track to match the steady strumming of the chords.

But even without the final and added touches, it sounded lovely and mellow -- if she had to choose and word to describe it.

The song sounded sweet from the beginning, but it was even sweeter when Andy began to sing and Prince's gentle strums of his telecaster provided the serene setting.