Chapter Seven

We walk quietly down Angela's street along the sidewalk, beside all the parked cars, my hand still in his warm one. They're not as shaky anymore. I keep my gaze away from him, looking at all the big nice expensive houses. I wonder if Isaac lives in this area or near by? I could only imagine how much bigger his house probably is, being the mob bosses son an all.

Isaac's smoking a cigarette as we continue to walk further away from the party, until the music's at a light hum. He takes one last drag of his cancer stick and puts it out, finally breaking our deadly silence.

"How you feeling?" He asked, his thumb softly stroking the top of my hand.

"Fine," I say softly, looking down at the pavement.

"Fine as in you're lying just to get me to stop asking? Or fine as in you're actually fine?"

I chortle and look up at him, "number two." Isaac squints his eyes as if he doesn't believe me, and I gently squeeze his hand, "I'm fine, really."

"You look fücking beautiful tonight."

I feel my cheeks instantly get hot and I quickly look away, "thank you," I say shyly.

"How'd you know red was my favorite color?" I turn back to look at him and he has the hem of my flannel in his fingers, a smug smile on his face. His smile really was the cutest thing I'd ever seen in my life. It filled my stomach up with little butterflies every time he smiled, it was like I was slowly melting on the inside.

"I didn't," I say shyly, pulling my shirt away from him. I let go of his hand, placing mine on my right arm, slightly rubbing it up and down. It was pretty chilly tonight and I was only in this flannel. "Your little girlfriend isn't gonna be upset cause you're out here with me, instead of dancing with her?"

Isaac lets out a soft chuckle, "is that jealously that I detect?"

"What? No!"

"She's not my girlfriend," he continues to chuckle. "She's just a friend."

"Yeah.. you guys seemed pretty close." I said a bit dryly.

"Hailey," he reaches for my waist and I take a step away from him. Isaac being so near me made me uncomfortable, and the thought alone of him touching me made me nervous.

He sighs deeply while shoving his hands into his pockets. "Ariana is only a friend, I promise. I am not interested in her, or in anyone else. You're the only one that has my attention, Summers.." Wait, what? "I wanna break you out of this nervous little shell, I want you to feel comfortable with me. I'm not use to being told no, and it frustrates me. I want to take you out on a real date, let me show you that you don't have to be afraid of me. Let me get to know you."

My head starts reeling as my mind tried to process everything that Isaac had just told me.

Carmelo Matteo's son wants to get to know me?

Isaac Matteo was interested in me?

But why..

The thought alone was frightening, but at the same time it's also exhilarating.

The one guy that every girl wanted to be with was interested in me, the awkwardly, anxious, quiet girl. I don't know what causes me to say the next word that spills out of my mouth, but for once in my life I will not let my anxiety get the best of me.

"Okay," I breathe out.

Isaac's face lights up like a little boy waking up on Christmas morning to a Christmas tree filled with presents. "Yeah?" I fold my arms in front of me attempting to warm myself up, and nod while smiling. Isaac notices my little movement and removes his jacket off of him, placing it around me. "Why don't we go somewhere a bit warmer.. You hungry?"