Chapter Thirty Nine

"Wait, you did what?!" Carmen exclaims into the phone, I couldn't tell whether she was mad or happy. "You actually used his own words against him?" She grins.

I nodded my head silently, we were currently on FaceTime right now. She giggles evilly, "oh my god, who are you and what have you done with my little innocent Hail bear?"

"Stop, Car, I feel bad enough as it is already," I frown lightly.

"What?!? What for?! There is no reason why you should be feeling bad, sad, or any type way other than proud right now! Oh my god, Hailey, I am so proud of you!" She chuckles. "Yeah I get it, mami, it's a shitty feeling, but he fucking started this first, you have every right to be fucking petty!"

"I know," I murmur, looking away from my screen, looking down at my notebook in front of me. I had a pen in my hand drawing endless little swirls and squiggles, while I had my phone leaning up against an old candle jar that I was now using for some pens, pencils, and highlighters. "It kind of all just happened so fast," I tell her. "I was happy for a second, then sad, and next thing I knew I was boiling."

"And that's perfectly fine, Hail. You're learning to express yourself more and more," she smiles kindly. "Let him fücking suffer, let him go through the same shit that you went through, Hail. If he really wants to get back together, if he really wants to fix it, let him work for it, dude, and I mean really work for it. You can't give in, you have to be strong!"

"I wouldn't even know where to start," I admit.

"Show him that you don't care, that you don't need him, that he fucked up by letting you go, hell, make him jealous if you can, that's always fun!"

I snicker quietly, "you're evil you know that."

"Only Monday through Sunday," she smiles, flashing me her pearly white teeth.

"Hail."

I snap my attention back to my bedroom door, where my dad was currently knocking at. "Yeah?"

My door slowly creaks open and my dad pops his head in, "wrap it up, Katherine, do you realize what time it is? You girls both have school tomorrow."

I tap my phone screen so that the time can pop up and it shows 12:31 am. Carmen and I have been on FaceTime for almost two hours now. "Sorry, dad, I didn't realize it was so late."

"Sorry, Mr. Summers," I hear Carmen murmurs sadly from behind me, and I couldn't help but chuckle softly, she was such a kiss ass when it came to my dad.

I move a little out of the way so my dad can see my phone leaning on my desk, so he can see Carmen on my screen, and her my dad in the background. He rolls his eyes while softly shaking his head, smiling, "goodnight, Carmen."

She chuckles softly, "I'll talk to you later, Hail, goodnight. Goodnight, David," she smiles.

My dad rolls his eyes even further to the back of his head, while I get up from my desk, quietly snickering. It was always weird hearing Carmen call my dad by his first name, and it drove him insane so she purposely did it from time to tome to tease him.

"She's lucky I like her," my dad says, leaning against my door frame.

"I don't think she would say it knowing that it actually bothered you," I smile reaching for my phone. "I really am sorry about the time, dad, we just got caught up talking."

He shakes his head softly, "how are you holding up, kiddo? I didn't get the chance to talk to you when you got home, you flew up here without saying a word."