Chapter Fifteen

The drive back to my house was strangely quiet, awkwardly quiet in fact. You could cut the tension in the car with a damn butter knife. I motioned to ask Isaac if he was okay, if he wanted to talk about what just happened, but that was clearly rhetorical. He obviously didn't want to talk about whatever was bothering him, or about her.. But my mind was racing with all these unwanted thoughts, I really didn't want to press, but I needed him to talk to me if we were gonna go anywhere.

"Soo, do you wanna talk about what happened back there?"

Isaac tightens his grip on his steering wheel, shaking his head. "There isn't anything to talk about," he answers flatly.

"Really? Because there's a couple of things that I can single out." Isaac glances over at me but doesn't say anything. "Was.. is she.. your ex?"

"Who? Layla?" He retorts sarcastically, shaking his head. "She was never my girlfriend."

"But she was something.. right?"

Isaac's grip on the steering wheel only tightens even more that his knuckles start turning white, "Layla wasn't anything, Hailey."

"Could've fooled me. You guys seemed to know each other pretty well," I murmur under my breath.

He sighs deeply, "I really don't want to talk about this with you." He says, parking his car out in front of my house.

"Well I do!" I exclaim. "I want you to talk to me when something's bothering you, Isaac.."

"You really wanna know who the fuck Layla is?!" He blurts out, raising his voice with every second that passes by. "She was a fucking fling, Hailey! Okay? Nothing more than a fuck.. You happy now?!"

I shutter at the tone of his voice, and my eyes immediately start to glister with tears. I wasn't necessarily upset about what he told me, some part of me knew that they had some kind of history together, I knew for a fact that Isaac came with history. I was more upset of the fact that he snapped on me. I was afraid actually. It was the one side of Isaac I knew he had, the one side that I didn't want to see.

I quickly undid my seatbelt, grabbed the door handle and got out of his car making my way towards the house. I hear Isaac immediately open his door and follow after me. "Hailey, wait!"

I wipe the tears streaming down my face when a hand grabs ahold of my arm, gently pulling me back. I don't know why I panicked, but I did, I'm definitely not entirely helpless though. My dad being the overprotective father that he is of course made me take some self defense classes here and there just to be safe, he even thought me a few tricks of his own. Without thinking it through, my instinct kicked in and I turned back around connecting my fist with Isaac's jaw, hitting him square in his beautiful face. Isaac instantly lets go of my arm and my hands immediately fly to my face as I realized what I've just done.

"I'm- im so sorry!" I mumble through my hands.

He holds up a single finger in front of me, shaking his head, basically telling me to shut the hell up and dread quickly fills me. He finally looks up at me and I noticed that his bottom lip is bleeding. I busted Isaac Matteo's lip. I hit his gorgeous, beautiful, handsome, face. I have no doubt in my mind that his lip got scratched from my rings, rather than the actual strength of my punch. Isaac wipes his bottom lip with his thumb and stares at it for a couple seconds, when he begins to chuckle.

"No offense, Hail, but I'm a little surprised that you actually know how to defend yourself." He licks his bottom lip taking a step closer to me, "but next time.. go for the nose with an open palm. It'll do more damage."