Chapter Forty One

Isaac POV

I made it back home exactly at 7:02, only because I did in fact catch all the streetlights on green. Pops was busy on a business call when I walked into his office so I quietly sat my phone and the Acura keys on his desk and he quickly shooshed me out, demanding that I lock the door behind me.

I was a little bummed out that he didn't let me keep my phone, but I knew he was only following momma bears rules, he didn't want to have to deal with her wrath when she came home and found me on my cellular device.

Ma actually never made it home that evening, apparently she was at my uncle Sal's house because we, and I do mean pops and I, had forgot that it was my cousins birthday. Ma had been over at their house since the afternoon, helping aunt V whip up all of Nate's favorite food. Ma of course yelled at pops, she called him a little passed 7:30 asking if we were nearby because apparently they were waiting on us to eat. He of course came into my room yelling at me to get up out of bed, as if it were my fault that he forgot we had somewhere to be. I thought that pops would've drove us to uncle Sal's house seeing how he was in a hurry, but instead he had his driver drop us while he handle a business call on the way there.

Unfortunately, I was still incredibly full from having gone out to eat with Hailey, and was gonna have to come up with a reason why I didn't feel like eating. Either way I was gonna get my ass chewed out, not only would my own mother have a fit, but my aunt V would be down my throat as well, she knew how much I loved her food. I couldn't come up with a lie and say that I was feeling ill because that would've only made them worry, especially ma, seeing how I had just got out of the hospital a few days ago.

I don't know how I managed it but I was able to fork down a plate of food. I was dying by the end of the night though, ready to go home and fall into a food coma, sadly we didn't leave until a little passed 1 am. Pops, uncle Sal and Nate threw back a couple drinks, well a little more than a few. I ended up driving us back home while my father slept in the back seat, I didn't mind though, pops worked all the time, he deserved to have some fun from time to time. I would've gladly joined them but unfortunately I was still grounded, and my parents were sticking to the damn punishment for sure this
time.

My mother barely wanted to talk to me, and the little conversations we did have so far were only small talks, it was starting to drive me insane.

Ma was actually the first one to break the tedious silence after we'd been on the road for about ten minutes, "you went out tonight, didn't you?"

It took almost everything in me not to cheese up right then and there. She always fucking knew, how? I glance over at her to catch my mother looking at me, a not so happy look on her face. "Why do you ask?"

My mother scoffs softly while shaking her and rolling her eyes, turning away. "Of course he let you out."

"Ma-"

"You don't think I know these things, Isaac? You don't think I know my own son and my husband?" I stay quiet, keeping my eyes on the road. "Where did you go?" She presses. "I bet you anything you went out to eat, didn't you?"

I turn to look at her completely amazed and confused at the same time that she knew. "You were forcing yourself to eat," she says. "And you usually always want seconds when it comes to your aunts food."

"I'm sorry ma-"

"Who'd you go with?"

"Hailey," I answered quietly.

My dad grumbles something in the backseat, but he's not awake, he's just talking in his sleep, he usually does when he drinks heavily. Ma turns back to check on pops and doesn't say anything until she's back in her seat comfortably, "your grounded for an extra week," she mumbles.