Secret's Out

It had been two weeks since everyone had found out what I was, and it had served as a form of torture.  Of course, they talked to me, and more than that.  Lydia and I had sleepovers nearly every night, I studied at Allison's, and I hung out with Scott and Stiles everyday.  But there was a nagging sense that something wasn't right.  Not even Stiles would talk to me about it, and that wasn't even the worst part.  I had finally made it official: I was falling for Stiles. 

I tapped my fingers nervously on my desk as Mr. Yukimura rambled on and on about Japanese internment camps.  It bored me to death and I could already feel my eyes closing until a folded note was passed up in front of me from Stiles.

Val,

Please don't think that I think you're crazy, because you definently aren't.  I tried to keep things normal for you, but the secret's out, isn't it?  You aren't alone, I hope you know that.  Can we talk more during free period?

Stiles

I exhaled a breath of relief and scribbled back a reply,

Stiles,

Of course we can.  I am so relieved that this isn't just in my head.

Valerie

I folded the note up neatly and handed it back to Stiles just seconds before the obnoxious bell echoed through the empty halls of Beacon Hills High. 

"Hey, you got a minute?" Stiles questioned me as I piled my books into my locker for free period.

"Uh, yeah."

"Well, since it's free period, we could.." he swallowed hard and bit the inside of his cheek. "We could maybe go to my house for a bit...." he tried to say, but it came out as a nervous squeak.

"Sure, I'm in." He exhaled and grinned as we walked side by side down the crowded corridor.  On the way out, we passed by Scott.  I waved at him and expected him to wave right back, but in response, his hand shot out and wrapped itself around my arm.

"Scott-"

"Get in the car," he demanded as the three of us rushed into Stiles' Jeep.  Nobody spoke a word on the way to Stiles' house, all was quiet between us, like some kind of unspoken tension that only tightened the longer we sat isolated in each other's presence. 

"Valerie, do you know what you are?" Scott asked once we had found our way to Stiles' room.

"Shapeshifter," I blurted out without any thought.  He stepped back and his brown eyes widened in shock.

"Show me." He demanded. 

"I..." I swallowed hard and shrugged.  "I don't really have it under control just yet." 

"You know, this is kind of bad, Valerie.  Shapeshifters are so rare... There are people out there who will come after you!"

"I can't deal with this now..." I sighed and turned my back away from Scott.

"Valerie-"

"Please stop, okay?  I didn't ask for this!  This is all so new to me, so please... Let me be," I choked out before fleeing the room in a mess of tears.

"Valerie!" Stiles yelled through the house, his footsteps echoing moments later.

"Leave me alone." I muttered as I plopped myself down on the couch.

"Hey, hey...." he whispered in comfort as he sat next to me and squeezed my hand.  "You're okay.  It's not your fault, Scott's just... He's just worried about you, that's all."  I blinked to squeeze out the last tears of weakness and turned to Stiles.

"Are people going to come after me?" I forced myself to say.

"No, no, no one's coming after you.  I promise."

"I can see it."

"What?"

"You guys know something.  About what I am."

"Val, please don't-"

"I have a right to know!"

Stiles paused. "Now isn't the right time, okay?  Something's happening, Valerie.  Something's going to happen."