Fireflies

(Songs for this chapter:

Dangerous Times - Wildlife

Cayendo - Deorro

Dechorro - Deorro

Damaged - Adrian Lux

"Valerie, I really gotta use the bathroom!" my little sister screamed through the door as I wrapped a towel around my body.

"Calm down, will you?" I responded as I brushed through my damp hair with a comb, parting my hair carefully.  I pushed open the door and frowned as she dashed inside and slammed it behind her.  I cursed under my breath and disappeared into my bedroom for some time to myself.  Instead of getting dressed like any other person would, I simply changed into a t-shirt that was about two sizes too big and a pair of boxer shorts.  I climbed under my covers and pulled out my laptop.  For days I had been researching Kitsunes and Nogitsunes and it was still quite unclear.  I supposed I could ask Noshiko about it, though.  I heard a tap on my window and Stiles' palms pressed against the glass.  I grinned and slipped off of my bed before pushing the window open, allowing Stiles inside.

"Happy Halloween, babe," he said with a half smile as he kissed me on the cheek swiftly.

"Ditto, Stiles."  I grinned and slid a pair of black shorts on my legs before crashing back on my bed.

"Hey, Scott and Kira and I were on our way to a party... You wanna come with me?"

"Uhh, yeah!"  Of course, I had never actually been to a party before, but I was estatic to see what a high school party was like.  "Where's it at?"

"Derek's."

I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "He's allowing that?"

"Well, it's kind of a secret." Stiles squeezed my hand and sent me off to get dressed with another kiss.  I rummaged through my collecion of tops and skirts and decided on a simply white sleeveless blouse and a blue denim skirt that hung just above my knees.  I applied my makeup just like I would normally and left my now-dry wavy hair down around my shoulders.  I gazed at myself in the mirror before grabbing a pair of wedges.  For once, I actually felt.... confident, I should say.  I suppose that's what happens when you become best friends with Lydia Martin.

"Gee, you didn't have to get so dressed up, babe," Stiles said as he eyes raked up and down my body.

"What, you don't like it?" I teased.

"No, no, don't get me wrong, I love it.... I don't want anyone else staring at you, though."

"If anyone else does, I'll scratch their face off," I said with a laugh and Stiles joined in.

We went ahead and climbed right out the window without telling anyone and hopped into Stiles' Jeep.  I always felt so at home in his car; it always brings memories. 

"If you don't mind me asking, have you ever been to a party?" I hesitated to answer at first, I was a little embarrassed about my lack of, well, partying.

"Never in my life."

"Don't worry, I haven't really been to one either."

I looked over at him, surprised. "Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, it's Scott who gets invited to all of the parties."

"Glad I'm not alone, I felt like a loser," I said before stepping out of the car.  I could hear the thump of the bass and streaks of light drifting through the windows.

"Oh, I nearly forgot," Stiles said as we walked toward the loft, "Power's still out."

"That's okay."

"Ready?" he asked as he placed his hands on the door handle.

"I'm ready." I took a breath and braced myself as Stiles slid open the heavy metal door.  I was immediately surrounded by multicolored flashes of light, what seemed like thousands of dancing teenagers, and of course, drinks.  Several were shoved in my face, and I did ingest one sip, but the bitterness just wasn't for me.  The music pounded in my ears, I couldn't even hear myself think, but it was exhilirating. 

"What do you think?" Stiles shouted above the music.

"It's amazing!" I responded.

"Wanna dance?"

"Sure!" We had to end up yelling at each other, but our voices were still muffled by the music.  I moved my body to the rythmn like a somewhat civilized person, whereas Stiles danced like a total maniac, it was kind of hilarious.  I was actually having fun; I had never experienced anything like this before.  It was truly amazing to be held like this by Stiles, surrounded by my friends, actually being rebellious.  I knew that my father would never let me do anything like this....

Hisssshshshsh.

Something between a hiss and a rattle was heard behind me.  My head snapped around, but each time I would hear it, there would be only the DJ.  But everytime I turned around, I would hear it again.  I couldn't take it, I had to get away.

"I'll be back in five," I told Stiles before slicing through the crowd to get somewhere quiet, where I could actually think.  What if I was just imagining? 

Hissshshshhs.

My body spun around, and this time, something actually appeared in my field of vision.  I screamed as I staggered away from the terrifying creature before me.  It was tall, very tall, and wore a black cloak, its face hidden by a terrifying silver mask.  And its eyes- its eyes were the worst part.  They glowed greenish yellow, like a firefly, if I ever saw one.  My body screamed with fear as its hand shot up to my face and gripped the side of my face, a grasp I couldn't escape, even if I tried.  It felt as if those eyes were staring into my soul, its fingers seeming to dig into my skull.  A hole was being drilled into my core, a dark and endless abyss consuming me.  The creature let go and I felt myself beginning to fall before my world became engulfed in darkness.