A New Start

Thank you guys SOOO much for getting this book to 5K! I am so happy! I am so thankful for you guys! Keep reading, commenting, and voting!

Songs for this chapter:

Basically, I - Robert Delong

Lego House - Ed Sheeran

Never Say Never - The Fray

A World Alone - Lorde

Kids - Mikky Ekko

Valerie's P.O.V.

I held my outfit for today in front of me and layed it out on my bed. I was ready to head back to school today. After the night of my nightmare, Dad had let me stay home for a couple of days. He said I needed some "time off", which I kind of did, I guess. But I wasn't going to leave Scott and Stiles alone to try and cope with the loss of Aiden and Allison. I had to be there.

I quickly slipped on the strapless white ruffled top, black leather jacket, dark skinny jeans, and black lace-up combat boots that matched the oil-black color of my jacket. I brushed my wavy hair and let the loose, glossy curls hang around my shoulders. I applied my makeup quickly and headed out the door without hesitation, I didn't even eat breakfast. I needed to keep my mind occupied today. Even the slightest bit of quiet would allow the memories of my nightmare back into my mind. I imagined tossing it away, but I knew it would still return. Out of habit, I rubbed my hands over the leather steering wheel of my car and rested my head on the cool material. I am strong. I told myself, and made my way down the road.

I was well aware of my "possibly an Omega" problem, but I didn't exactly have time for that right now. I knew I needed to talk to Derek, though. He knows all about this kind of thing, of course.

I pulled up to the parking lot of the school, the tires of my car squeaking against the pavement. When I opened the door of my car, I was welcomed by a cold breeze that bit my cheeks and sent shivers up and down my arms. It was in the 40's, but it felt much colder. I hurried into the school and smiled at Isaac, who was standing by the doors.

"Hey, Valerie." he said with a friendly smile.

"Hey. Have you seen Stiles?"

"Oh, Stiles? I think he's in the library." I thanked him and made my way down the hall. From inside the library I could hear voices. Stiles and Derek. I wove through the shelves until I found Derek sitting down, his back against the wall, Stiles in front of him. He looked scared.

"Hey..." Stiles said.

"Everything okay?"

"Um, yeah....Well, I guess not really. Derek's having some trouble. We'll have to talk later. I'm sorry babe." He kissed me on the forehead and I left the room. I wondered what was happening. Everything is supposed to be back to normal, right? Wrong. Nothing seems right to me. Of course nothing will be the same, but something is going on with me, and what about Derek? Something was wrong.

I grabbed my books out of my locker and slammed the door shut, only to reveal Isaac standing behind it. I jumped in surprise.

"Woah. Hey. You scared me," I laughed and he smirked.

"Sorry. Um, is everything okay with Stiles?" Why would he be asking that?

"Um, yeah. He was just talking to Derek. Everything's fine."

"Oh, alright. I was just checking if you guys were..." I tilted my head in confusion.

"If we were what?"

"Um, it's just...I think he likes Lydia, so...." His words shocked me. Why would he like Lydia? How could he like my best friend?

"That doesn't sound right, Isaac. Are you sure?"

"Well he's had a huge crush on her since third grade, that's just what I've heard."

"I'll see you later Isaac..." I mumbled and walked away from him. Could it be true? Could he really have a crush on Lydia, my best friend? I played it over and over in my mind during class as we discussed the Great Depression. I couldn't focus on the book we read in class, I couldn't focus on anything other than what Isaac had told me.

"Miss Hampton?" I heard a voice say. I looked up at Mr. Yukimura suddenly and felt the entire class staring at me.

"I'll ask again," he said with a smile, "what was the percentage of families who lost their homes in the Great Depression?" I could already feel my cheeks getting hot.

"Um, I'm sorry.....I don't know."

"Okay...Please stay after class, Valerie." The class's attention was directed away from me and I lay my head on my desk. My life is officially a mess.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

When the bell rang, I didn't remove my head from my desk. I could feel the rush of students on either side of me as the classroom emptied. I lifted my head slowly and Mr. Yukimura motioned for me to come to the front of the room. I dragged myself in front of his desk and gave a strained smile.

"Valerie, I'm concerned. Your grades have dropped drastically over the course of the semester. I know it is very hard to get over what has just happened to you and your friends, but it's time to move on. Please let someone know if you have any other problems, alright?"

"Okay," I said quietly.

"Now get to lunch." he shooed me off with a smile and I ran out of the classroom as fast as possible. Instead of heading to lunch, I ran into the girl's restroom and pressed my back against the wall, sliding down until I reached the floor. I hugged my knees to my chest as silent tears slid down my cheeks and dropping onto my clothes. I wiped the tears away with the palms of my hands, but they returned within seconds. My life is falling apart again, I thought to myself. I actually thought that everything would be back to normal.

I felt like I needed to talk to Stiles now, so I forced myself to get up and ran into the lunchroom. To my disgust, Stiles was talking to Lydia. I stormed up behind him and grabbed his arm.

"Can I talk to you?" I asked, trying to hide my anger and jealousy.

"Um, yeah..." I pulled him into an empty hallway, away from everyone.

"Do you like Lydia?" I asked plainly.

"What?" He seemed shocked by my words.

"Answer the question, Stiles."

"No! Of course not. Why would you think that?"

"Isaac told me, and I.....I just want to make sure." Stiles sighed and suddenly his eyes were locked on mine.

"I did like Lydia. But that was before you came along. I had liked her since the third grade. And then that day when you came along, I absolutely fell head over heels for you. I love you, not Lydia. You know that, don't you?" He smiled and caressed my cheek gently with his thumb. I nodded and wrapped my arms around him.

"I love you." I placed both of my hands in his and he planted his lips onto mine. We broke apart and I rested my head on his chest.

"Do you think things will be back to normal now?" I said into his shirt. He ran his fingers through my hair and kissed the top of my head.

"Hm, that's hard to say..." I looked up at him.

"What do you mean?"

"Valerie, it's Beacon Hills!" He laughed.

"You do have a point there." I giggled and he put his arm around me.

"I really do hope things go back to normal." he whispered. 

But deep inside, I knew we had a long way to go until we got to "normal."