The Full Moon

I clutched my blankets to my body as I bit into my lip.  I was restless, I could feel something, something rising, something giving me power.  I craned my neck to the window and stared right into the face of the full moon, its silver, pale light nearly blinding me.  I could feel something rumbling inside of me; I knew it couldn't be contained.  I covered my head with my pillow and squeezed my eyes shut with as much force that I could muster.  But I couldn't stay like this for much longer. 

I felt my eyes being forced open along with my mouth, a roar falling from my lips.  With my emerging claws, I slashed at my bedroom window until it shattered into oblivion.  I shot through the window and headed for the Preserve, I was moving fast now.  Adrenaline pumped through my body, keeping my limbs moving, my blood flowing.  I was fully shifted by now.  The wind screamed past my ears as I dashed through the trees, keeping every inch of my body moving.  My thoughts only contained only, "Where am I going?  Why is this happening?"  Before I could answer either, a blinding pain surged through my stomach, I roared in pain.

"Who's out there?" a voice called.  I tried to scream and yell and beg them to leave before I hurt them, but all that came out was a whimper.  I heard footsteps approaching me, growing louder.  I cowered onto the ground and looked up into the eyes of my best friend.

I knew this shouldn't be coming from me, a teenage werewolf, but what the hell was she doing in the woods this late?

"Valerie?" she asked and I bobbed my head up and down, knowing my eyes were aglow.  "The full moon," she muttered under her breath.  She slung something over her bag, a bow and arrow I think it was, and removed one arrow from the sheath upon her back.  "You're under control, okay?  I know you aren't like Scott or Derek, you have control," she told me in a comforting voice.  She raised the arrow above her head and without warning, forced it into my skin.  I felt pain, but I didn't cry out.  I knew she did this for a reason: pain makes you human. 

I felt my body growing, my limbs lengthening, and claws and fangs fading from sight, before my head grew lighter, my world fading into black.

••••••

In my mind, I heard two voices speaking, but I saw emptiness.

"Is she awake?"

"No, Dad, she had a rough night." 

"Listen, I'm not mad about you going out there, even though we are.... retired.  But I just want you to be safe, okay?"

"Okay, Dad."

A breath forced its way through my lips and I sat up, my chest heaving.

"Hey, it's okay." Allison smiled and held a cool cloth to my forehead.

"What-"

"The full moon was last night, but you're okay.  You're okay."  In an instant, all of the memories of last night came flooding back to my mind. 

"Scott...."

Allison cocked her head to the side in confusion.  "What about him?"

"You said.... You said, I wasn't like Scott."

"Shit..." she muttered.

"Allison?"

"I wasn't supposed to tell you this, but," she swallowed hard and looked up at me,"Scott's a werewolf, Valerie.  We aren't normal."

"We?"

"Are you familiar with the term 'banshee'?"

I nodded, remembering the day that my mom had discovered banshees, and she had told me tales about them, that her mother was one.  I never believed it, though.

"And you remember how Lydia said she heard whispering when we were at that mall?"

"I know exactly what she is," I murmured.

"Yeah.  We tried to keep this from you, because, we thought you were normal, and we didn't want to ruin any of this for you..."

"I was normal..." I whispered and her eyes widened in shock.

"What?"

I sat up and smoothed my hands over the quilt that had been wrapped around me as I prepared to recount the awful night.

"After my first day at school, I went out into the Preserve after dark.  I went there to relax, and just be alone, you know?  But something was out there.  I heard movement in the trees, and...." I gulped as I reached the climax of the story,"I was bitten."

"Derek." Allison muttered through gritted teeth.

"No, it wasn't Derek.  I met him the next day.  He helped me to believe what had happened to me."

"It makes no sense!" Allison lifted herself up from the bed side and paced the room.

"What makes no sense?"

She turned to me with eyes full of fear and said,"There are no shapeshifters in Beacon Hills."