The Verge of Chaos

Stiles' P.O.V.

I had been standing alone on the dance floor, surrounding by flashing lights and thousands of people I didn't even know for about twenty minutes.  Valerie had told me that she would be back within five minutes, it was way past that time limit.  Besides, it was close to midnight, I had already planned to take her home much earlier than that.  I pushed through the crowd and entered the hallway on the side of the loft, the music beginning to muffle, the bass deeper and matching the beat of my heart. 

       She must  not be here, I thought to myself. But that was before I rounded to corner, and my eyes took in the sight of my girlfriend's body sprawled on the ground a few feet in front of me.

"Valerie!" I shouted and ran to her side.   My heart pounded in my ears as I placed my thumb against her wrist in attempt to feel her pulse.  She was alive, but just barely.  Her heart beat very slowly, which was unusual for a werewolf.

"Stiles.." she slowly raised her hand to touch my face, but it fell back down to her side. I held her hand; it was cold as ice. She was pale and breathing heavy.

"What happened?" I asked her. She took a shaky breath.

"T-they came out of the dark..." She whispered and shook uncontrollably.

"Who?" She didn't answer. She shivered and held on my shirt for warmth. I moved her hair out of her face and noticed something behind her ear. It was some sort of marking, like a number 5.

"They left a mark on you." I said.

"W-what kind of marking?" she said.

"I don't know. We need to find Scott." I scooped her up in my arms and ran down the hall. She shivered and took shallow, shaky breaths. I laid her down on the floor next to a radiator and covered her with my sweatshirt.

"Wait here. I'll be back." I said. I kissed her on the mouth quickly and ran through the crowd of dancing teenagers to find Scott, but he was nowhere to be found. I ran back to Valerie to see Allison and Isaac standing over her. Isaac looked worried.

"It happened to her too." he said.

"What?" I said. He showed me the same marking behind his ear. Valerie lay shivering on the ground.

"She has to turn." Isaac said.

"What? Why?" I asked.

"Trust me, Stiles." Isaac took Valerie's arm in his hands, and with a swift movement, he twisted it. I heard an excruciating cracking noise and she roared in agony, her yellow eyes glowing, her fangs bared. The claws that sprouted from her fingertips scratched at the floor. I couldn't watch her in pain like this. She took a strangled breath and her eyes dimmed to their normal state.

"Are you okay?" I knelt down next to her.

"I'm fine."

"Who are they?" Allison questioned.

"That's what we have to find out." Isaac said.  We started down the hall a few minutes before another shriek rang through the loft, a scream that we could easily recognize as Lydia.

"I've noticed a pattern here," Allison said as Aiden helped Lydia up and lifted her into his arms. "They're only attacking anyone with supernatural ablilities."

"We need to find Scott," Valerie said in a panicked tone.

"I think he went up to the balcony." Isaac said.

We dashed up to the roof, knowing we had no time to lose.  Scott and Kira were sitting alone on the ground, talking quietly amongst themselves.

"Scott! We need to leave. Now." I hissed.

"Why? What happened?" he questioned.

"There isn't time for that. Just come with us now!" Valerie persuaded him. As soon as she finished speaking, we heard yelling coming from inside.

"Derek." Scott said.

"We should probably go talk to him..." We hurried downstairs to see that the room was deserted. We walked into the middle of the room where Derek was. But he wasn't looking at us. I slowly turned my head to see a cloaked figure behind me. Their masks gleamed in the moonlight. At least five of them surrounded us.

"Oh, no..." I whispered. They came closer. Val whipped out her claws and fangs and shifted into her wolf form.

I backed away and hid behind a wall with Kira. Derek, Isaac, Scott, and the twins growled and turned. The creatures didn't move. Valerie growled and charged at one of them. She tried to slash its stomach and it grabbed her and slammed her against the wall. She whimpered, collapsed on the floor, defensless and weak. Derek twisted one's head, but they were too powerful. They threw him to the wall, and he collided with a pile of wooden boxes with a sickening thud.

Valerie charged again without cease and shifted to human form halfway, bearing only fangs and claws and glowing eyes. She sprinted towards the leftmost Oni and slashed its face. The mask went flying and shattered to the ground. We expected a face to be underneath, but all that we could see was darkness, absolute darkness. To our shock and surprise, the mask reformed over the mass of darkness. The Oni grabbed her by the neck and slammed her harder against the wall, creating a large hole in the solid concrete.

They closed in on Scott, bearing their swords in front of them. Valerie growled, tried to get up and fight them to defend Scott, but she was far too weak. Just as they were about to get to him, pale light began to seep in through the window. The sun had risen which meant that we had been here all night.

"What the hell were those things?" Scott shot at us. Kira looked terrified. I ran over to Valerie as she shifted back to human form, falling down then and again from her injuries.

"You okay?" I asked and helped her up and into my arms.

"I think so," she managed to whisper. She wiped some warm blood that trickled from her mouth and held onto me for support.

The Oni had hit us hard, no doubt. But we all knew that we hadn't seen the last of them. Not until they found what they were looking for.