Falling

I rubbed my forearm as I sat up in bed, the crescent moon casting its pale light in the distance.  It was late; I knew it must be 2 am.  I couldn't stop thinking about dinner this evening, it seemed like hours ago, another fading memory.

It was then that I heard a faint clink at my window, followed by a thump.  My head snapped to the window, just as a small pebble hit the surface of the glass.  I cocked my head and slowly approached the window, bending my fingers under the edge before pushing it open.

"What are you doing here?" I asked the boy with the deep brown eyes, tight white t-shirt, and plaid pajamas bottoms who stood in my yard, below my window.

"Uh, sorry.  I know it's late, but I just need to talk to you..." Stiles shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

"Did you drive here?" I questioned.

"Um, I live next door."

"Oh.  Sure, come on up." I beckoned to him with a flick of my index finger and his gaze traveled up.  "Here, let me help you out.  Just scale that tree there.  You can reach my window from there."  He nodded and practically tackled the tree, sliding down the trunk as he wrapped his legs around it.  It took a bit of encouragement and patience before he finally made it up. 

"So, uh, what's on your mind, Stiles?" I asked as I invited him to sit on my bed.

"I'm just going to say this.... What are we?"

I frowned. "What are we?" I repeated.

"Yeah.  What are we?"

"I... I don't know, exactly."

"You kissed me."

"Yeah," I smiled and nodded my head. "Yeah, I did.  Because..." I trailed off and stopped myself.

"Because....?" He inched closer to me.

"Because... I like you, Stiles.  I like you a lot.  And it's driving me insane, trying to keep this to myself, I just...." I sighed, knowing that now that the truth had broken through the surface, there was no going back. 

Stiles said nothing, just stared at me.

"Are you... going to say anything?" I asked, my heart hammering in my chest.

"There's nothing to say, except... I've never felt like this about anyone before.... God, I sound so sappy..." he muttered.

"No, no you don't.  Not at all." I squeezed his hand and pulled it away, realizing what I was doing.

"Why did you move your hand?" Stiles asked quietly.

"Erm..... I..."

"Let me help you out."  His hand creeped toward mine and his laced my fingers with his.  Our eyes locked like our fingers and my heart pounded in my ear as our faces inched closer and closer together.  His lips brushed against mine tenderly, only leaving me wanting more.  His lips opened along with mine as we entered a deep kiss than we had started with.  I mirrored the movement of Stiles' lips as he did mine.

Time was frozen as our lips moved together, as one, in sync with one another.  Our hands were interlocked, my balance lost as I leaned back, Stiles floating above me as the kiss grew sweet.  He gingerly placed his hands on my waist as he flopped down beside me, our faces directly next to each other, like a mirror, we were polar opposites.  My eyes fluttered shut as he draped his arm over my waist, my body falling into a calm state as I focused on the sound of Stiles' soft breathing.

I woke up the next morning like I did most nights- a sheen of sweat covering my forehead, my body shaking with fear.  I could barely remember what I had seen, but I sure as hell didn't want to talk about it with anyone.  I remembered what had had happened last night and looked over to the sleeping boy beside me, his lips parted slightly as he snored lightly, his hair messy as it pointed in all different directions.  His knees were hugged to his chest, his arms posed above his head. 

I smiled and kissed his temple, feeling his steady pulse against my lips.  His head jerked backwards, hitting my nose and I winced.

"Stiles!  Why'd you do that?"

He rubbed his eyes and sat up, scratching his head.

"S-sorry, you scared me.  I usually don't wake up to girls with their lips on my face."

I rolled my eyes and rubbed my now throbbing nose. "Hey, let me see it." He ran his thumb over the bridge of my nose and half smiled.

"Just a little red," he said. "Nothin' to worry about."

"You were tossing and turning a lot last night," I said quietly as my hand encircled his shoulder.  "Something bothering you?"

Stiles' lips stretched into a tight smile and he shrugges. "I... was worrying the same thing about you."

"What do you mean?"

"You were saying things...."

"Like?" I was starting to get scared, maybe it wasn't just in my head.

"Like, 'Stop, leave me alone!' Stuff like that...."

"Oh."

He gingerly squeezed my hand and brought warmth back to my skin, icy veins sparking to life.

"You're gonna be okay, I'm the one who's losing his mind."

"I know that's how it seems, but I really think you're gonna be okay-"

The door swung open, the frame shaking as my sister stood in the threshold, a extremely confused look taking over her face.

"Em, I can explain..."

"Uh, maybe this is a bad time..." Her eyes widened and she fled the room, screaming dramatically.

I turned back to Stiles and giggled. 

"Maybe I should come back later?  It's almost seven."

"Okay, see you at school."  Before he left, he kissed me full on the lips, the kiss lingering even after he had pulled away.  He climbed back down the tree, falling a couple of times, but he got down okay. 

I think I was in love.  And I had fallen hard.