The Oni

Valerie's P.O.V.

After school that night, I stayed up late doing more research on Japanese mythology, but I couldn't seem to fond anything I hadn't seen already.  It was hopeless, it seemed.  I tried several different key words, but I could'nt find anything.

"Valerie," my father's head materialized through the door and I jumped in surprise. 

"Oh my god, Dad, you scared me!" I laughed, closing the lid of my laptop.

"Honey, it's almost midnight.  You should be asleep.  I'm needed at the station right now, so I'll see you in the morning."

"Okay," I said quietly.  The door closed quietly with a mellow click, followed by his footsteps downstairs, the jangle of his keys and the slam of the front door. 

I rubbed my eyes, realizing how tired I was at once.  I twisted my hair into a messy bun and crawled under the covers, glancing at my phone before pulling the covers up to my chin and drifting off.

-

That morning, I woke up, my body jerking upward.  Someone was in the room with me.

"Stiles-" I began, but he motioned for me to be quiet.

"They're here," he said.

"Who?"  A black cloud billowed at the foot of my bed, the demons appearing at once.  The Oni.  I screamed and scrambled out of bed and towards Stiles.

"Stiles, get back!" I yelled as I pushed him behind me. I had to protect him from them. I shifted halfway, bared my claws, and attacked them with as much force and strength I could muster. I was targeted by the gleaming sword and I dove to the floor, attempting to evade them. I charged again without noticing the Oni who stood directly in front of me. I couldn't stop the sword from slicing through the air and entering my side. I screamed as hot blood dripped from the wound. I staggered back and held onto my desk for support. I felt my vision thinning, my head pounding.

"Stiles!" I managed to say. "Stay hidden!" I closed my eyes and tried to block out the pain, but it was too much to bear. I had shifted back into my human form, the pain had turned me back. I threw my head back and cringed as I held my hand to the wound with the sword still buried deep inside. The blood seeped through my fingers, warm and thick blood that stained the white carpet beneath me. I felt light peak in through the curtains and the Oni disappeared in a cloud of darkness. I took shallow breaths as Stiles rushed to my side.

"Let's get you in the bathroom, quick," he said before he lifted me up in his arms. I sat on the edge of the bathtub and watched the worry and concern fade from his eyes, replaced with black poison . He smirked, which I knew wasn't right, and ran his fingers over the black handle of the sword.

"Stiles?" I whispered.

"Oh, you want me to pull it out?" He spoke these confusing words before gripping the handle and twisting the sword in the wound. It was the worst pain I could ever suffer, and all I could do was scream.

"You know, Valerie...You should really learn not to trust a fox..." He smirked and I opened my mouth to scream, but no sound came out.

"Stop! Please!" I begged, but he gave me no response. He placed his hand on the side of my face and leaned in like he was about to kiss me,but he did something completely different, something I never imagined. I felt a sharp pain surge through my body and through Stiles' hand. I looked down to see bundles of black veins forming just below my skin, running up my body and branching out to his fingertips.

"What...What are you doing?"

"I'm taking the pain, of course. How can I live without pain?" What was he talking about? Why would he need pain? I felt the sword twist again but my body was numb. It rotated in my body, leaving me breathless and weak. The pain began to grow inside and I felt my limbs weakening. I screwed my eyes shut and heard a loud thump seconds after. Stiles lay sprawl-eagled on the floor at my feet. My head snapped to the figure who had supposedly saved my life. Scott held a clear vile of liquid in his shaking hands.

"Scott! How...did you know I was here?" I said, breathless.

"I don't know, I could just feeling something off. Are you okay?"

"No, no, I'm not..." I raised my finger to the vile gripped in his hand.

"Lichen solution. I'll explain later."

"Okay...Now please, get this out of me..." I begged, feeling weaker and weaker every second. Scott grabbed the handle pulled it out quickly. I winced as the tip of the sword left my body. I gasped and collapsed into Scott's arms, my vision fading into black.

••••••••••••••••••••

I woke up with a light peeking under my eyelids.

"She's awake," I heard a female voice say. My eyes flickered open and adjusted to my family and friends standing around my hospital bed.

"Thank god you're awake," Allison said as she gave me a hug.

"How long was I asleep?" I asked groggily.

"A couple of days."

"Where's Stiles?" I asked, sitting up suddenly.

"He's okay. He's at the police station with his dad," said Scott.

"Do you remember what happened?" My dad asked. I rubbed my head in pain and shook my head no. I remembered exactly what happened. I just didn't want to talk about it.

"Okay, sweetie. You should rest," my dad said as he gently pushed me to lie down. Everyone left the room. I lifted up my shirt to see the wound, but I had healed. I knew I had lost a lot of blood, which was making me light-headed. I rolled over on my side and closed my eyes, but all I could think about was that awful scene when possesed-Stiles had tried to kill me. Everytime I closed my eyes, he was there. That awful look he gave me when he twisted the sword was etched into my mind. I see it every time I close my eyes. I don't want to admit this, but he's dangerous. My boyfriend is dangerous.