Shadows

Stiles' P.O.V.

I shivered as my shaky hands gripped my phone. I felt like I needed to call Val again, but what's the use? She's not gonna find me. I turned on the flash on my phone and directed it to my leg, which felt as if it was paralyzed. My foot was stuck in a metal trap, covered in blood. It jerked upward, the sharp metal teeth of the trap sinking into my flesh. I screamed in pain and my phone clattered to the ground. I heard movement in the corner of the cold room and my trembling hands scooped up my phone. I moved the light from wall to wall, until I heard the sound again. Someone was hunched over by the wall, writing something on it with chalk.

"Who's there?" I shouted, "I know you're there...I can hear you!" The chalked slipped from the figure's hand and rolled to the floor. It stepped out of the way to reveal what it had written: a huge symbol that looked like the number 5.... Just like the one I had found behind Valerie's ear when she was attacked. I held in my breath as a nonexistent wind blew it from the wall.

"WHO IS THERE?!" I screamed louder. I heard footsteps and uneven breathing. The figure stepped out from behind a wall. I shifted backwards slightly, but not enough to let the metal trap puncture my foot again. I held up my phone to the figure and I gasped when its appearance became clear. Its head was wrapped in rotting bandages, some of which were stained with blood. But that wasn't even the worst part. Its mouth was all I could see. It was filled with bloody, jagged, decaying, razor-sharp teeth. It stumbled around the room, muttering something I couldn't understand.

"Who are you?" I asked, my voice shaking with fear.

"No, Stiles... Who are we?" The thing spoke in an awful raspy voice.

"W-what?  How do you know my name?"

"Did you notice you've stopped shivering? Do you know why that's a bad sign?"

My eyes widened; it was right. I had stopped shivering. I knew what it meant because I had done a science report on it in the 6th grade.

"Hypothermia.." I whispered.

"It's only getting colder...We're going to die if we don't get out of here..."

"Stop saying that. Stop saying we!" I shouted.

"We're just trying to save you...You better get up, Stiles!"

"HOW? THERE'S A FREAKING STEEL-JAW TRAP ON MY LEG!!!" I screamed and tears of anger and fear began to roll down my cheeks. My chest heaved up and down as I sobbed.

"It was on your right leg before, wasn't it?"

"Why are you here?" I sobbed.

"We're trying to save you, Stiles. We're trying to save your life." I screamed, gripping the sides of my head and the odd creature stumbled off.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

It seemed like hours I sat alone, in the cold, dark room, isolated from the world. I jumped back as I saw the creature find its way back to me.

"You don't get it, do you? It's a riddle...Do you know any riddles, Stiles?"

"A...A few..." I stuttered.

"What gets wetter the more it dries?"

"A towel..." This was a game to the creature. I just had to follow along, feed into it.

"When is a door not a door?" Deaton had told me this one. I remembered what it meant. I remembered when he said that there is a door open in my mind, a door I need to close. But I guess it's too late.

"When it's ajar."

"Everyone has it, but no one can lose it...What is it?" the creature croaked.

"I don't....I don't know..." I exhaled and tried to keep calm.

"Everyone has it, but no one can lose it," it repeated. "What is it, Stiles?"

"I don't....know..."

"Everyone has it, but no one can lose it!" It spoke louder, in some sort of growl.

"I don't know!!!" I sobbed. I covered my face with my hands, and when I looked up again, it's awful face was only inches from mine.

"EVERYONE HAS IT, BUT NO ONE CAN LOSE IT!!!" it screamed.

"Please...." I pleaded. The creature grabbed the chain that held the trap in place and began to drag it across the floor.

"No no no!" I screamed. My shivering hands moved across the cold floor, trying to find something to hold onto. "WAIT! WAIT!" The pain I suffered was unbearable. I knew now that I couldn't be saved.