Search Party

Songs for this chapter:

Intro To Revelations - Of Verona

Not About Angels - Birdy

Touch - Daughter

Valerie's P.O.V.

"How much do you know about this, I mean it's so confusing..." I rambled on and on to Kira over the phone, who had attempted to explain to me what had happened that night with Barro.  It was late, around midnight.  I balanced my phone between my shoulder and my ear as I Googled everything from ancient Japanese culture to Onis.

"It's called a kitsune.  It's like a fox spirit.  My mother and I.... We both share this ability, you know?  And something happened that night, something I can't explain-"  I heard a door slam and talking on the other end of the line.  "Er, Valerie, I have to go.  Talk to me tomorrow."  She hung up and I went back to my work on my laptop.  I typed in the word kitsune in response to several results popping up on the screen.

"Nogitsune is a dark trickster spirit," I read aloud to myself quietly. "Many times conjured by a kitsune, these spirits feed off of chaos, strife, and pain...."  I bit the inside of my cheek and continued to scroll down the page.  It was so confusing, I actually had no idea what the hell I was doing.  But I needed answers. 

Bzzt.

I looked down to my phone in my lap and squinted my eyes to read the bright luminescent words on the screen.  It was Stiles calling, which was strange.  He never stayed up this late.

"Hey babe, what's up?"  I frowned as I heard static and panicked breathing.

"Stiles?" More static.

"V-Valerie?" My blood ran cold. 

"Stiles, what's going on, are you okay?"

"I don't know where I am, I don't know how I got here.  I think I was sleepwalking..." He was full-on sobbing by now.  He was scaring me, I couldn't really wrap my finger around what he was saying.  However, trying to be the best girlfriend I could be, I stayed calm.

"Uh, well, tell me what you see.  Can you see anything?"

"No, it's too dark... I can't see much.  Except there's a furnace down here... But it's cold.  It's freezing down here."

"Stiles...."

"And something's wrong with my leg, I can't move... I think it's bleeding, Val."

"I'm calling your dad."

"No!" he yelled louder than I had expected, followed by more strangled breaths. "Please, Val, don't call him, please.  He already worries about me too much.You can find me."

"Stiles, I don't know if I can do this-"

"Valerie, you can.  You can find me," he encouraged me. "I have to go, I have to turn off my phone."

"Stiles, no, wait-" The line went dead as the voice of my boyfriend faded away.  I nearly fell out of my swivel chair as I threw on a jacket and twisted my hair into a bun before slipping on my combat boots.  On my way downstairs, I dialed Scott's number while I tried to keep myself calm and ignore the panicked beating of my heart.

"Hey," he greeted me groggily.

"Scott, get up, oh my god, please." I begged him.

"What's going on...?"

"Stiles didn't call you?"

"What?"

"I'm on my way to your house.  Get dressed and get Isaac." I ordered him before pushing my phone back into my pocket and ducking into my car.  I slammed on the gas pedal and didn't hesitate even when I ran over my mailbox.  Panic and adrenaline was pumping through my body as I pushed open Scott's door and met him on the staircase.

"Hey," he greeted me as he pressed his lips together.

"It's Stiles," I informed Scott and Isaac breathlessly. "He called me, he said he's trapped somewhere and he can't see or move.  He said his leg is bleeding."

"When did he call?"

"Ten minutes ago-" I stopped mid sentence as my phone buzzed in my pocket.  I sucked in my breath and fumbled with my phone in my hands as I read Stiles' name.

"Stiles!" I answered abruptly.

"Did you call my dad?"

"No, it's just Scott and Isaac and I.  Do you think you can tell me where you are now?"

"I don't know.... It-It's a basement... Some kind of basement."

"Like in a house?" I asked as I switched the phone to speaker.

"No, not a house.  It looks bigger, like industrial," he whispered and I cocked my head to the side in confusion.

"Stiles, why are you talking so quiet?" Scott asked.

Stiles breathed in and exhaled before answering his question.  "Because.... I think there's someone in here with me."