Don't Cry

Sorry for not updating for a few days. Here is another chapter :)

Valerie's P.O.V.

The house creaked with the wind, an empty tick.  It was a tick that was the only thing keeping me sane.  My eyes were fixed on the boy curled up on the couch, eyes squeezed shut.  He breathed steadily, his chest rising up and down slowly.  If I were to have not noticed the sound of his inhales and exhales, I would mistake him as dead.  Dead.  Dead.

A lump rose in my throat.  No, crying is for the weak.  I am not weakRight?  Of course, I couldn't keep just one tear from escaping.  I couldn't stop the rest, either.  I exhaled and reached out my hand to the pale arm draped over the side, scraping the floor lightly with the rise and fall of his diaphragm.  I wrapped my hand around his arm and winced as black veins poured up my arm, and unfamiliar pain.  Pain that only a select few would know.  My mother.  My ancesters.  The sick. 

My body went numb almost immediatly.  My bones felt dull, my veins filling themselfs with lead.  I retracted my arm from Stiles' skin and felt my heart fall.  I stood up from the chair quick enough to knock it over as I headed outside.  The dull pain had faded from my nerves by now, but I would never forget how it felt.  The worst pain of all wasn't that that I had felt when I touched Stiles' skin.  It was the pain deeper inside, the fear of losing someone.  The knowledge that they were leaving. 

Why couldn't it have been me?  Why wasn't it me?  The Nogitsune had been inside of me, too.  He hadn't sapped my power, or my energy.  Why would he choose to take the life of someone innocent?  A human? 

The door creaked open behind me, and a small, whispery voice sent shivers up my spine.  "What are you doing out here, Val?" 

"Stiles...."  I clasped my hand over my mouth.  He appeared like a ghost.  His face seemed thinner, his eyes rimmed with dark shadows.  "What has he done to you?"

"I'm alright."

"No. No. No, this is all wrong.  All wrong.  G-get back inside..."  Stiles leaned on the wall as he stumbled back to the couch, wrapping a fleece blanket around himself. 

"Babe, you should be out looking for Lydia..." he whispered.

I shook my head.  "No.  I'm gonna stay here, and cause all kinds of trouble." I brushed his cheek with my thumb and he smiled weakly.

"Don't leave," he whispered.

"I won't."  I climbed onto the couch with him, curling up next to his body.  He wrapped his cold arms around me, pressing his lips against my forehead until we drifted away.