Hallucinations

The next day was dreaded Monday, also known as the day of my huge History exam.  Stiles insisted that he give me a ride to school, especially since he didn't think I was okay from yesterday, so he arrived extra early, completely ignoring the fact the I had my own car.

"Ready for dinner tonight?" he asked as we sped down the road, the Jeep bouncing up and down as we hit uneven pavement.

"Huh?  Oh, uh, yeah."  I bit my lip and stared out of the window.  I suppose that that kiss didn't mean anything.  Did I want it to?  Did he want it to? 

School today held the usual dreaded work, the continuous lectures and algebra lessons.  However, something was different today.  Today was my first cross country practice, and I was ready.  Stiles talked to me the period before practice about using my "wolf powers" and whatnot, because he said it was "cheating".  But a little extra speed wouldn't hurt.

"Hey, Kira," I greeted my friend as I opened my clothing locker.  Kira was in the same position as me, new girl, lost in ways she didn't understand, so we really shared a lot in common.

"Hey, Val.  Ready for practice?"

I lifted my shirt over my head, replacing it quickly with a Dri-Fit Nike long-sleeve shirt.

"Well, I'm guessing so.  I've been practicing."  I was considering playing it safe.  Even Kira didn't know what I was.  She was my only friend that was completely clueless of my abilities.  I did plan to tell her, like I planned to tell my family, but now clearly wasn't the time.

"So, see anyone you like?" I said with a wink as I nudged her with my elbow, my pace matching hers as we walked down the hall to the path.

"Well, I don't know... Scott, maybe, I guess..." She shrugged.

"You should go for it!"

"Valerie, I dunno..."

"Oh, come on... He's cute, I'll agree... But, he's all yours for the taking."

"I don't even think he's into me." 

"Kira, he couldn't be more into you, honestly." I smiled and glanced at Stiles, as he waved at me from his group that consisted of Isaac and Scott.

"Alright, line up!" Coach shouted, the small metal whistle clenched between his teeth.

"Now remember, I don't wanna see any walking!  That'll earn ya an automatic three extra laps.  Now get to it!"  Nobody moved.

"GET YOUR ASSES ON THE TRACK!"  The shrill blow of the whistle nearly shattered my eardrum, sending me off.  My feet began to move at extreme speeds, the wind whistling past my ears.  Danny was approaching me quickly, and I grinned, forcing my legs to move faster.  Kira was almost in front of me; she was running at speeds that any non-human could run. 

"Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!" Coach yelled enthusiastically at me as he followed the crowd in his truck.  I heard loud breaths behind me, Scott was catching up.  He grinned, his legs moving at a supersonic speed.  The wind nearly blinded me as I moved faster.  In fact, it did for a couple of seconds.  And after those couple of seconds were over, they were gone.  And by gone, I mean everyone.... vanished. 

My heart thumped in my chest as my feet skidded to a stop, the dirt flying up as my sneakers kicked up the soil.

"Scott?" I searched around, but I was alone in a world with only trees surrounding my path.  "Stiles?"

"Valerie, help me."  The dirt under my feet was suddenly gone, replaced by clean white tile.  My gaze traveled to the center of the room, where the cut down Nemeton sat, untouched. 

"Help."  Stiles sat on the edge, not moving, his face holding no expression.

"Stiles?"  His mouth opened to let words fall from his lips, but in this case, the words were fireflies.  Lots of them.  They flew from inside of him, swirling into the air, casting their yellow-green light over me.  Stiles let a scream out of his chest, an awful blood boiling scream.  I cowered onto the ground and pressed my palms to my ears as the flock of fireflies swallowed me whole, their awful, teeth-grinding, pain-inducing buzzing the only thing I could hear.

"Valerie!" 

"Val, wake up!"  My eyes shot open, distorted figures gathered around me like discolored flowers. 

"What's happening to me?" I muttered under my breath as I sat up.

"You fainted... You were screaming like crazy!" Danny said.

"Oh man, she's really pale..." Kira sad worriedly.  "You okay?"

I swallowed hard and nodded rapidly. "Fine."

"Man, my best runners are always down.." Coach grumbled. "Alright, nothing to see here!  Everyone back on the track!  Valerie, as for you.. head on home, and rest." 

I nodded and made my way back to my car, not stopping inside even for my backpack.  I looked back momentarily at Stiles and Scott, worried expressions dominating their faces. 

What the hell had I seen?