Get Lost, Get Found

Stiles' P.O.V.

"WAIT!  W-WAIT!" I screamed hopelessly, at nothing.  Hot tears began to spill down my cheeks, gathering the dirt that had assembled on my skin.

"Stiles, you're okay, you're okay!"

"Wait..." I sobbed.

"Hey, it's alright, you're okay."  Strong arms wrapped around me and I relaxed once I recognized the voice of my best friend.  I breathed deep and reflected back on what I had just witnessed.  I had just one question for whatever that odd mummified creature was-

Why?

Valerie's P.O.V.

 Bzzt.

I looked at my phone and expected nothing more but bad news from Scott.

Scott- We found him.  He's okay.  Call me as soon as you can.

My heart jumped and a smile creeped across my lips.  I phoned Scott, who answered on the third ring.

"Hey.  You got my text?"

"Yeah," I answered with hope beginning to blossom in my heart.

"It ends up, he was asleep the whole time.  We found him in the coyote den in the Preserve.  Everything was just a dream."

"He's okay?" I asked, it was all I really cared about.

"Yeah, he's okay.  We're bringing him back to the hospital now."

"See you then."

Stiles was moved to the hospital in no time at all, he was sleeping now.  It was all a dream to him, he didn't remember much.  He was getting an MRI scan tomorrow afternoon, after Stilinski had recounted all of Stiles' odd symptoms had finally been added up, and the doctors had decided that his mental health was gradually declining.  I spent the majority of my time at the hospital with Stiles, squeezing his hand as he lay trapped in slumber.  I fought the tears that threatened to break through as I tried to imagine what happened next.

The next day at school, I was rather jumpy and anxious.  I kept my back pressed against my locker as every student gradually floated out of the school.  I noticed Lydia was the same way, with every slam of the lockers, her head snapped from side to side.

"Hey, they're running tests on Stiles all afternoon... Wanna come with me?" Scott asked Lydia and I as he slung his bag over his shoulder.

"Sure." I responded quiety, but Lydia stayed frozen.

"I think I should just go home..." she muttered.

"You okay?" Scott asked.

"Yeah.  Just a little hypersensitive to louds sounds today, I.. I'm fine.  Just go... Go visit Stiles."

......

"Stiles, when you enter the scanner, you're going to hear some... loud sounds, a sort of clanging.  This is produced by pulses of electricity circulating through the machine," the technician explained a nervous and obviously anxious Stiles.  "If you want, I can get you some earplugs or headphones?"

Stiles scratched the side of his head and shook his head. "No, I don't need anything," he mumbled.

"Stiles, just remember, I'm on the other side of that wall," Stilinski said with a warm smile as Melissa led him back behind a glass window, leaving Scott and I with Stiles.

He pressed his lips together in a hard line and looked up at us. "You know what they're looking for, right?"

Scott shook his head sheepishly.

Stiles sighed. "It's called frontotemperal dementia.  Areas of your brain start to... shrink.  It's the only form of dementia that can hit teenagers...... It's what my mother had, and.... there's no cure."  The warm blood in my veins ran cold, my vision beginning to blur in response to the tears.

"Stiles, if you have it..." Scott began,"We'll do something.  I'll do something."  Stiles managed a weak smile and beckoned to Scott, and they enveloped each other in a hug.

They broke apart and Scott drifted away, looking back before disappearing, and we could literally see the hope drain away from his face.

"Valerie, listen..." Stiles began.

"You'll be okay, if this isn't what they think it is, you'll get through it, Stiles."  We latched onto each other and his lips found their way to mine.  His hands reached the small of my back and his thumb gently caressed my cheek one last time.  He gave my hand a reassuring squeeze before I gave him a glance that knew everything would be okay, but some part of me was dominant, saying that this could be the end. 

It seemed like time was fading as I sat in the waiting room just outside of the room, skeptically moving my eyes across the wall as I tried to piece together what Derek had told me about chemosignals.  If Stiles was in the middle of a conflict with himself, that had only to do with a dark spirit.  He was the target.  The nogitsune.  It all made sense suddenly, he had been what the Oni were looking for all this time.

"Valerie!" Scott rushed in front of me, I had barely noticed his absense.

"Something's happening outside."