viii. 360 with the wrist

Stephen

I waited specifically when we had our fifteen minute break from practice to go and sit beside Steve Kerr on the bench.

"Am I really gonna get fined?" I inquired, drinking from the water bottle as soon as I took a seat.

The old man put a hand on his face in dismay. "You're lucky I was able to explain the altercation you had with that fan. They're letting it go since it happened after the game, but you're on probation now. You can't do it again."

I sighed in relief. Of course. The least player everyone would expect to go at someone's face like that was me, because I rarely get into a fight on court. I always had that 'nice guy, all about God' image. Kerr wanted to protect that for my sake.

"Expect it to be in a lot of articles, though," he informed with a hint of disappointment. "Try to avoid answering questions about it."

"Yessir."

He nodded once. "I don't know what you and Arzaya keep fighting about but I don't wanna see it anymore. Especially at work."

I suddenly felt bad that people from work were starting to get bothered. It's just, when I argue with Arzaya, I forget where I am or who's around me and I tend to focus my anger on her.

"Steph, don't give the lady a reason to quit her job," Coach Kerr advised. "Her co-workers from CSN love her because she's polite and easy to work with. And I'm telling you, she works so hard. She doesn't just simply delivers her reports; she organizes them herself. She's doing more than she ought to because she's dedicated that way. They're even planning to offer her a segment on TNT."

My eyes found the floor as I took in what he said. In another world, I would have been proud for all her achievements knowing it was one of the things she'd always dreamed of. In that world, I would have been happy fulfilling our dreams together and sticking by our promises.

But that wasn't the same world we were in right now. She chose this path. I was only giving her what she wished for, but it seems that whatever I do it always comes back to hit me.

"Ayeee." Draymond came towards us with that iconic grin. His mouth immediately fell into a straight line as soon as he sees my nonchalance. "Oh, y'all having a serious convo?"

Kerr leaned back more comfortably now. "Just telling him to handle his anger management."

Dray nodded, finding humor in it. "Yeah, man. Steph out there yelling at people. Can't relate. I'm a chill guy."

I laughed in sarcasm as I threw the ball to him which he immediately caught. "You the one getting suspended for having a loud mouth."

"That's what you call passion," he retorted, matter-of-factly. He took quick look around the court. "Yo, where's Zaya? She scheduled a quick interview for me."

That reminds me, the training already went for 2 hours and we only have an hour left but she was nowhere to be found.

"Anybody seen Austin?" Coach Kerr voiced out so the other players could hear. They all shrugged. "If she won't be able to attend today's session then we get to accumulate all training hours. We're not letting the press in for today."

I set the bottle on the seat beside me and got up. "Aight, let's go. Fifteen minute's up. I still have to work on my handles."