xxv. crazy, stupid, love

Stephen

It was around 8 in the morning when my phone started ringing. I even had to reach it groggily on the bedside table and answered it without looking on the caller.

"What?" I spoke, sinking my head back on the pillow.

"Stephen?" There came a woman's voice. "It's Julie, you remember Ayesha's neighbor?"

"Yeah, why you calling?"

There was a pause. Julie was the closest to becoming Ayesha's best friend but their friendship wasn't anything like Arzaya-Shay level. Ayesha was never letting herself be that close to someone else except me.

I lifted my head to peek on Arzaya and she was still on a deep slumber. I gently put an arm around her waist as I held her closer.

"Well, I... I heard Ayesha throwing stuff last night and she was screaming a lot. It subsided around three in the morning and I tried to knock on her door right now but she isn't answering."

"Why do you think I should care about her?" I unintentionally snapped.

She sighed. "I don't wanna meddle with you guys but this is a serious situation. I know you have a key to her house. I'm hoping you can check on her."

I groaned inwardly. "You're overthinking. Maybe she's asleep or something. Give her some space."

"I-I'm a little worried," she stammered. "She attempted to jump off this building once. She might have done something this time—"

"Wait." I sat upright. "What you say? She attempted suicide before?"

"Yeah."

Jesus.

I massaged my temple problematically. "When was this?"

"It was the day you broke things off with her, I think that's what she told me," she said. "Please come here and try to talk to her, Steph."

I sighed. "Yeah, yeah. I'll go there. If anything suspicious happens, call me again."

After I hung up the phone, I looked back at Zay to see her shifting from her sleep but she didn't wake up.

I planted a soft kiss on her forehead before I got up from the bed.

---

The nervousness was evident on Julie's face as I saw her on the hallway. She seemed so relieved to see me.

"I tried to call her," she told me as soon the moment I approached her. "She wasn't answering."

My chest rose up and down. "I'll see her inside."

I walked past her and headed towards Ayesha's apartment. I used my spare key to open her door and when I did, I hesitated to enter inside.

I shouldn't even be here. She might try to trap me again with her wickedness. She was crazy enough to do whatever it takes to keep me in.

Man, fūck it.

I walked inside the apartment and headed straight to her room. The door was already ajar when I came there so I swung it open to see her.

On the floor.

I froze as I saw her sprawled beside her bed with an almost empty bottle of pills on her hand. She was as lifeless as a doll.