xxxvi. worst behavior

last 5-6 chapters guys! i'm writing them one at a time. please vote and comment!

Stephen

Under a minute left in the 2nd quarter, I still wasn't able to make a three so Coach Kerr had me sit out until halftime because I was underperforming. It sucked. I didn't know why I was feeling like this for almost the past week now.

The ambiance back in the locker room during halftime wasn't gloomy. In fact, the boys were pretty much chill about the score. I was grateful Klay and KD came to show up during my lackluster presence and performance on court.

I was the only one sulking during halftime and I could tell some the guys and Coach were bothered by it.

"You had about seven turnovers in the first half, Steph," Coach told me as he approached my seat on the locker. "Seven. Does that tell you something?"

I silently drank from my bottle and tightened my jaw. "I'm sorry, Coach. Was tryna show out some ball handling but always lose the grip."

Oh, boy. I wish I could describe how frustrated Kerr looked at me.

"All your points come from the paint and barely, even," he noted in criticism. "It was mostly free throws. I'm getting concerned now."

Klay joined me and patted my back as he silently encouraged me.

"I don't know why I'm bricking shots. I've been," I huffed in frustration before I continued. "I've been doing okay during warmups. I'll get back on court and do my role."

KD sat in next to him while tying his shoes. The man is a superstar tonight. "Ease on him, Coach. He's got the other team doing box-and-1."

Coach Kerr sighed in disbelief before calming himself down. Of all things that scared me, one of them was seeing Steve Kerr getting extremely angry during games. He was about as ready to break another clipboard, ready to slam his fists into it because of how I was acting and ruining the plays.

"We'll change some plays to allow some isolation on Curry," Kerr told the team before looking at me. "But you have to show out and make a three or your record will be on the line. I need consistency, Stephen. If you keep this up, you will disappear in the Finals and your image will be tainted."

My eyes stayed looking at the floor as I nodded in defeat. I knew he was only trying to help me out, but I just couldn't figure out my rhythm.

Back on court, I tried to practice some shots as they were setting up to start the 3rd quarter. The fans would cheer whenever I missed a three, which was a lot.

"Best shooter in the league?" I heard one of the Blazer fans snickering.

I tried to picture out Zay on the sideline in her usual spot. Right about now, she'd be sitting on the sideline while writing in her reports. Then she'd get up and ask whichever player was performing well for a quick interview.

I wonder how my baby is doing right now.

I didn't feel so good but I knew she was being well taken care of by her mom and brother.

As the buzzer came off to end the halftime, I shot one more from downtown and made it. Draymond came over to me, gave me a pat on the head and dragged me towards the team huddle.

"You good," he said encouragingly.

For the rest of the quarter, I finally made a 3 even if it was contested. Throughout the game, I was only thinking of Arzaya and how she would feel if she watched me playing like a bum. Surely, she wouldn't want to see her man embarrassing himself on live television.