xxiv. rose-tinted suicide

Arzaya

While Stephen was driving through the unusual congested Bay Area traffic, I took the time scrolling through Twitter to see why my notifications were blowing up.

Then I came across this one article from Bleacher Report:

2x MVP Stephen Curry awaits a new chapter in his life and you'll be surprised why

I snorted. They always go with that lame ass, not well-thought off headlines for clickbait. I read the article further.

NBA twitter went crazy after a fan discovered an old photo of Curry and the current CSN reporter, Arzaya Austin, which was apparently dated back in high school. It was later revealed by his teammate, Draymond Green, that the two have been seeing each other since high school and that they were absolutely in love.

During the All-Star weekend, our team was able to get news from a source that the two are back together and expecting a child soon.

Congratulations, Stephen and Arzaya! We can't wait to see little Curry, too!

"Jesus, Dlo," I muttered. I bet he was that 'source' that they were talking about.

Stephen glanced towards me. "What's up?"

"Everyone knows," I told him, showing the front page of the article.

He tapped the steering wheel with his fingers as he smiled. "That's great."

"No, it isn't," I said. "Your forgot that you just had a fiancé and now suddenly you're having a baby with some other girl. Everybody will think I'm a—"

"You're not some other girl," he cut me off. "Don't they all already know you were my girl since high school?"

I shrugged. "Well, yeah but."

He accelerated the car as the stoplight turned green. "There's a reason why I never let Ayesha and I's relationship come to public. Have you ever seen an article about us? No one even knew we were engaged."

I haven't thought about it before but now I realized it.

"Why, though?" I asked in curiosity. "You can't be embarrassed of her. She's beautiful enough to date you."

"No, I know. I'm not embarrassed," he claimed as he manned the steering wheel. "But you know I don't like putting the spotlight on me when it comes to relationships. It's irrelevant to basketball."

I nodded understandingly.

"Besides," he added, exhaling. "Ayesha likes the attention she's getting and it frustrates me. I know she's using me to reach a certain fame. She's always been the type to show me off even when it's unnecessary or even uncomfortable on my part."

Oh, man. Just realized how true that was for him. Ever since high school, it was up to Stephen whether he'd show me off or not, which he did anyway. But I didn't completely do otherwise unless he let me. The thing is, he doesn't like it when you show him off because he has this ego that follows the idea that 'guys are supposed to show off their girls', but then again I think that was unfair. I was allowed to show him off if I wanted to because I was proud and grateful for him.