xxxvii. unfinished business

long chapter ahead! please vote and leave comments.

Arzaya

Jackson was sleeping sound in bed while I stayed awake on the couch, keeping as much distance as I could from him.

I couldn't sleep. Not when I knew I'd be having nightmares especially around this monster. I was waiting for the opportunity of him not stirring from his sleep so I could reach for my phone on the nightstand.

And right now was the perfect time as I tried to silently tiptoe my way to grab my phone. Once I had it in my hand, Jackson was so deep in sleep that he didn't notice.

Hopefully, he doesn't wake at all.

I opened my phone and check for any messages but it turned out that my phone had no battery left in it.

"Fuck," I muttered, clutching it so tight it could crush. Just the right time.

But I couldn't give up now that I had the chance. I patiently browsed through the cabinet as silent as I could to try and look for the charger.

Under the shelves, books, some items I could not distinguish.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Jackson held my wrist tightly and I froze from my spot. I could not react.

"I said, what do you think you're doing?" he reiterated, staring at me intensely.

I took a deep breath and he tightened his grip on my wrist, allowing me to drop the phone on the floor.

"I-It hurts," I winced, nervously.

He laughed, sardonically. "It hurts?"

I still question myself what I could have avoided in my life in the past in order not to see this kind of present and a possible even more tragic future. Right after I broke up with Stephen, Jackson had me all brainwashed into thinking I was a person of no fault if I was with him. The guilt of losing the baby, hurting Stephen, and overall being around Jackson had me thinking that I was right exactly where I deserved.

But Stephen being the only person that had not given up on me made me realize the could've, would've, and should've in all things from my past to present. He was the only person I could ever trust my heart into.

"You never loved me, not even one bit," I told him, trying to pull my arm. "So, why are you doing all these? Since when have you been teaming up with Ayesha?"

Jackson was quite surprised that I brought it up. "You're right, I never loved you before. That doesn't mean I don't want you in my life. You're the only one that genuinely cared."

I simply looked at him in disbelief. "I never cared about you, either. Don't get it all wrong. I give zero damn about you not until you fucked up my whole life and I had to act like I did."

He found it strangely funny as if having a hard time accepting the facts. You could see the smile on his face, but the way he was squeezing my wrist told another story.