xxxviii. the last of us

thank you for 100k aaaaah. last 2 chapters after this and an epilogue! hold on tight. the ride is about to be over 😢 PLEASE vote and comment. don't be silent readers.

Stephen

On the way to the hospital, Shay insisted that she drive instead of me because I was really on the verge of losing my mind knowing Arzaya was in danger.

She was in danger.

Lord. Christ. Have mercy for her and our angels.

My heart hasn't stopped pounding until we reached Providence and I had to sprint all the way inside the hospital. I was rushing through the hallway to get to the ICU that I unintentionally bumped a few people here and there.

I hope they forgive me, but I could never forgive myself if I didn't see Zay right now.

Zay, you're okay, right? Baby, please be okay. I'm on my way. Just hold on a little bit and I'll be there before you know it. You're the strongest woman I've ever known and I know you won't give up. Not now, not ever. Please have the strength to get through this. We're still gonna fulfill all our plans in the future. I was still halfway done finishing our babies' room. We have so much more things to do together, Zay.

When we turned on the left wing, I caught a glimpse of Klay waiting outside the ICU in a very tense atmosphere.

"Babe!" Shay ran to Klay. "W-What happened?"

"How's Zay?" I asked, adrenaline keeping me in panic and worry. "What happened to her? Is she okay?"

Please let her be okay.

Klay remained serious and grief-stricken as he took a deep breath. I was hoping for good news, but I knew I was fooling myself. I just didn't want to hear the worst because I would break down.

"Klay, please!" I begged, grabbing his arm in utter desperation.

"She suffered blood loss when someone found her on the street," he explained gently. "I'm so sorry. The doctors are still in there making sure she's okay. They were very positive earlier so let's be positive, too. Zaya will be okay. She got this."

I felt my heart drop to the ground.

I wasn't able to contain myself when I slammed my fist on to the wall to release the frustration.

"I should've gotten to her on time or she wouldn't have—"

Shay pulled me back. "Don't. Arzaya wouldn't want you blaming yourself for it. I know my best friend and she's a fighter. She'll do everything to make sure she'll be alright."

My chest rose up and down at a rapid pace as I tried to set my mind straight. I wasn't thinking straight at all. My twins. Zay. I was praying silently that they were safe.

"How'd this all happen?" I sniffed, breathing hard against the wall. "Didn't Jackson kidnap her? Where's that motherfūcker? Tell me."

Klay took a moment of silence before he spoke again. "Jackson shot himself."

Shay and I looked at him in surprise.

"They found him dead on his room holding a gun to his head." Klay shook his head. "We don't know what went down but apparently he let Arzaya escape out of guilt."

Shay's hand flew to her mouth while I remained still. I didn't know what was the proper reaction I should display at this moment.

The idea of him killing himself and Arzaya escaping for her life was as horrifying as I imagined it to be and now I understood why it caused her blood loss.