ix. the real game

i know i've been updating daily with long chapters, but this is extra long so i hope u enjoy twice as much!

---

Arzaya

The guys were playing their five road games so they were out for 2 weeks and I wasn't obliged to go with them. This was the longest I haven't seen them but I became busier ahead of me that I didn't notice the days pass by so quick.

Since that day I showed up with a bruise on my face, Stephen never came close to me again. He would look at me but ignore me afterwards. He never spoke to me again and acted like he how normally does—which hurts stronger than any physical force that Jackson has set upon me.

But on the bright side, within those two weeks, I was offered to host two episodes of NBA Inside Stuff and I got to join Shaq and the rest of the guys at one Shaqtin' A Fool episode.

For someone who was fairly new to the NBA media world, I was doing a very good job at getting all these appearances. I was so damn blessed to even be considered for those, but they were complimenting me for all the hype I was getting.

I guess that even if I wasn't having the best time of life these past few weeks, there was certainly a silver lining to it and I was grateful for everything.

I knew the boys got back in Oakland this morning but today was my day off and I definitely wasn't going to lock myself up to be around Jackson for the whole day. That was the same as asking for a death sentence.

I had to leave somewhere. I had to be alone and safe and there was only one place I could think of.

"Zay!"

Asher's eyes widened as soon as he opened the door. I immediately sent him a smile and pulled him for a hug.

"You wimp," I teased, ruffling his hair as I dragged him inside the house.

"I can't believe I'm saying this but," he pulled away, grinning. "I really missed you."

Gosh, even his voice got deeper and he just kept growing. He was so much taller than me now.

"So do I, even though I wanted to beat you up when you were little."

It didn't take long until my mom and dad came to the living room and they were both expressing immeasurable joy at my presence.

"My baby," my mom cooed, hugging me tight.

Dad smiled at me happily and I could see the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes getting more and more prominent.

"You realize you're more famous than you think?" Asher reminded me as we sat on the couches.

I disagreed. "It's because I work for the Warriors and they're a hella popular team right now."

"Nah, it's not even that." Asher pulled up in mock disgust. "Dudes from school keep talking about how 'hot' you are I actually wanted to throw up."

"They're not wrong," I claimed watching my dīckhead of a brother pretend to throw up.

The bruise from the corner of my lips were finally gone but I had a new one from last night and this time it was above my cheekbone. Even though it was still fresh, I had to conceal it with make up so none of my family could see.