xi. nothings into somethings

im just saying, it would be fucking boring if stephen and arzaya get back together easily. im trying to be as realistic as possible here pls dont attack me by sending me private dms

---

Stephen

It was true when they say that the more you keep yourself distracted, the more you'd realize that days actually pass by faster than you think.

It's been almost a month.

I was so glad that we had 8 road games that went on for three weeks and that meant I didn't have to see Arzaya anywhere near me.

Or Ayesha, for that matter.

I was beating myself up ever since that night because I didn't know what I was thinking. I kind of want a baby but I also kind of don't. It was pretty much confusing for me that's why this 3-week road game really helped me in terms of getting away with these problems.

But if I'd be asked again, would I marry Ayesha?

I definitely would.

She was my present and she'd be my future. All that was in the past should be left forgotten.

It was just sad that this "past" still constantly haunts me around. Like, today.

We were back in Oakland and having our practice at the sports complex and I saw Arzaya again.

She was sitting by the bench and writing down on a paper, unknown to the guys that were looking at her.

Klay approached her and sat beside her. Probably to check on her if in case she was still getting knocked out by the punk. The reassuring smile on her face tells him no and that gave Klay a reason to sigh in gratitude.

I looked away, dribbled the ball, and did my signature layup.

"You're getting better," Coach Brown told me as he sent the ball back. "Not the old you, but you're getting there."

I tried to do my handles again and I easily lost it.

"Stephen, do you know how Steve feels about you lately?" he asked while I tried to catch my breath, staring at the ring. "He's frustrated that you're not playing beyond standard, but he's sad because he thinks something's wrong with you."

I shook my head in denial. "I'm good. Just not focused enough."

"Why?" he pressed. "Is there something that distracts you?"

I took a quick glance at Arzaya over at the sideline. I want her gone.

Again, I shook my head. "Nothing. I'll work harder next game."

Coach Brown eyed me with sympathy before giving in. "Okay, well if you have a problem, us coaches are here, alright? Don't beat yourself up. Mental health always comes first."

I watched him leave and blow the whistle as he wrapped up the game. I huffed to myself. Mental health? Does he think I'm depressed?

I let all of the guys go back to the locker until I was the last one on the court. I had to work on my game. Basketball will and have always been my first priority; I've just been a little distracted lately but I won't be anymore. I still plan to get us that championship no matter what.