Like a Father

Third Person's POV

"Okay, so we have exactly, a 63.8% success rate." Luke counted. "On the bright side, none of us were killed."

"They rejected us Luke, I don't even know why we're trying to save them." Connor said as he wolfed down a burrito. "They could get eaten by monsters and I wouldn't care."

"Mortals are stupid, we get it, but c'mon." Bianca told her boyfriend. "We're better than this."

"Connor's right." Jason said. "I'm done, we're done. It's been two weeks, and apparently, two out of five times they tried to kill us."

"Jason, we can't just leave them." Leo said. "Do you know what it's like? Feeling abandoned and hopeless?"

"If you don't wanna do it for the mortals, then do it for the demigods we're looking for." Silena said.

"We cause enough distraction so the satyrs can work faster." Leo said. "That's all they need."

"But we can't afford anymore casualties." Frank said. "That's the unsaid truth. We're all a bit selfish, we can't survive through wars just to die because of mortals."

"He's right." Hazel said.

"Hazel you can't be serious." Katie said.

"I am." Hazel exclaimed. "Frank and I, we're praetors. We can't afford to put everyone in danger, let alone ourselves. And Annabeth?"

Silence dawned on the demigods in the living room. Everyone was there except for Percy, Annabeth, Reyna, and Aether. They were busy putting the rest of the Demigod-extraction plan into works while the others went around as the army of Chaos.

Ever since their world was exposed to the mortals, though mortals have no clue what they're against, they've been against the demigods.

The demigods were against them too for your information, but it's not like they have a choice. And about Annabeth. One of their closest friend, who is pregnant, who is still fighting for mortals. Who is risking, not one, not two, but three lives all together on a daily basis.

Of course as her due date grew closer, naturally everyone went on to tell her to stay home. But the more frequent she was told to stay home, the more she wanted to leave.

"I think she's right." Nico said. "We can save the demigods, but I don't think the mortals part is even worth doing at this point."

The majority of the demigods already think protecting mortals was a stupid idea, especially when they were personally victimized my the bottle throwing and the attempted murders.

It's astonishing how quick human can change their perception once they're scared.

"Okay. So we stop." Thalia said. "Does anyone here actually oppose that?"

Some demigods who tried to argue a few moments ago thought about it for a minute and kept quiet. Nobody objected. Not anymore.

"So we're done." Thalia concluded. "We're retiring the suits. We focus on the extraction emergencies. The plan, and the investigation." She mumbled. "Someone's got to find Hecate she's still gone."

"But what if-" Calypso piped up. She stopped her sentence but everyone had already turned to her.

"What is it?" Luke asked.

"Well there's one place no one has checked." Calypso offered, glancing nervously at Nico.

"Oh Styx." Nico muttered.

"I mean, if she's kidnapped and not hiding-" Calypso changed her sentence. "Nyx is down there. Maybe Ouranous has been confinding with her? Maybe Kronos or Gaea?"