The Great Detective

A/N: Hello! 😁

Yes, this is "The Great Detective". 🙂

I hope you all remember this prequel! :)

We get to see our favorite Paternoster gang attempt to get our Couple of Time to engage in the universe again after oh-so many years of them not wanting to save or help anyone like they used to.

We'll see how that goes...

NOTE: Around a little over a year has passed since the end of the prologue.

Just thought I'd mention that. 🙂

Now...

Enjoy! 😘

--------------------------------

Outside, Victorian London, Night, 1892...

'Twas the 'most wonderful time of the year' in Victorian London as people milled about the market place, enjoying the Christmas ambiance of the season as snow fell to the ground.

"In London, in the time of Queen Victoria, there were many tales of a remarkable personage known as the Great Detective. I refer, of course, to Madame Vastra, the lizard woman of Paternoster Row and her extraordinary adventures, her beautiful assistant, Jenny Flint, and their mysterious henchman, Strax, whose countenance was too abominable to be photographed."

The Sontaran, Strax, peered around a corner, looking both ways before waving Jenny and Vastra over.

"What?" Jenny questioned as they walked over to him.

"There are also accounts of a fourth and fifth member of the Paternoster Gang, shadowy figures whose assistance was only sought in the direst emergencies."

Strax, Jenny and Vastra heard a noise from behind them, making them turn to see a man and a woman in the shadows of the alley.

"I'm so glad you came." Vastra told them as she took a step forward. "We have news, I think, of particular interest to you. There was a meteor shower in the southwest, unexpected timing and density. I've calculated there is a thirty four percent chance it is the result of alien intervention... Twenty four percent. Well, they could just be meteors, but it's worth looking into... There is a very pleasant tea room in the area."

The man and woman glanced at each other before looking back to the trio, neither of them making any move to come out of the shadows of the alley.

"Also," Jenny began. "there's a Professor Arasmus Pink who's claiming he's going to split the world open with a giant drill through the thinnest part of the Earth's crust. I think we should investigate... I mean, he doesn't actually have a giant drill, and he's not really a professor, and he was a bit drunk at the time and singing a bit, but you know it is never too early to... investigate a drill."

The man and woman didn't move.

Strax then took a step forward with a finger raised.

"I have declared war on the Moon!"

"Do be quiet, Strax!" Vastra rolled her eyes.

"Too long the Moon has hung unmonitored and unsuspected in the sky!" Strax insisted. "It has gained an enormous tactical advantage!"

"There's no one living there!" Jenny huffed.

"Then it is CLEARLY time to act! They won't suspect a thing!"

"WHO won't suspect a thing?" Jenny questioned him.

Strax grinned. "Moonites."

"Why do you keep doing this?" The Doctor questioned as he and Lexi stepped out of the shadows, Lexi's arm looped through his. "What's the point? We have told you. We have been telling you the same thing for over a year now. Yet we KEEP having to tell you, we don't do this anymore. We've retired. Quite a while back, too."

"Alexis." Vastra stated, looking to Lexi. "Surely you can help. What about your children? When will you really and truly let them spread their wings, so to speak?"

"Oh, we have." Lexi assured her. "But, this has nothing to do with our children. If you had children of your own, Vastra, you would understand how hard it is to let go of them. I'm not ready to do that, yet."

"But there's a man on Praid Street with an invisible wife!" Jenny said quickly, trying one last time to persuade the Couple of Time. "Or... maybe he just doesn't have a wife..."

"You're wasting our time." The Doctor told them before he and Lexi strode past them, Lexi's late Victorian gown fluttering just a tiny bit in the cold evening breeze.

"Merry Christmas!" Jenny called after them just before the couple seemed to disappear into thin air as a carriage passed them. Jenny sighed. "I think they mean it."

"Yes, my dear. I rather think they do." Vastra agreed sadly, lightly grabbing Jenny by the shoulders before leading the two of them away.

Strax looked up to the night sky, a slight scowl on his face.

"Damn Moon!"

--------------------------------

A/N: There you go! 😁

I hope you enjoyed that. We got to see a little glimpse of how the Doctor and Lexi are now feeling.

And next, we'll get another little chapter that will give us another tiny glimpse of a couple of certain someones as they wander around Victorian London. ;)

I'll go through and proofread that for ya before I get it published.

Until then! 😘

💋 Love always,
~Maddy