The Name of the Doctor [Part 3]

Inside, Maitland house, Kitchen, Day...

"So, who was she? The lady with the funny name and the space hair?" Clara asked as she and Lucas worked together to prepare tea for all of them. They spared a look over into the sitting room to see the Doctor sitting on the sofa, shellshocked, with Lexi, holding her hand tightly.

Inside, Maitland house, Sitting room...

"She's..." Lexi trailed off, rubbing her temple while rubbing the Doctor's hand with the thumb of her other hand. "She's... someone very... dear to us."

"What, like a close friend or something?" Lucas asked.

"No." Lexi shook her head, her hair falling in front of her face before she leaned her head back against the back of the couch. "Not really. Close, yes. But not technically a friend."

"Anyway," The Doctor cut in as he put his free hand on top of the one that was holding Lexi's, now holding her hand in both of his. "River asked Vastra for the exact words... What were they?"

"'The Doctor has a secret his wife will take to their grave. It is discovered.'" Clara answered as she and Lucas entered the sitting room, each holding two mugs of tea.

The Doctor closed his eyes, fighting back tears. Lexi quickly removed her hand from his to gently wipe his tears away before he laid his head on her shoulder as she held him tightly to her.

"Doctor?" Lucas asked quietly.

"Sorry." He sniffled.

"Oh, dear, don't be sorry." Lexi kissed the top of his head before looking up at Clara and Lucas, fighting back tears of her own. "And it was Trenzalore? Definitely Trenzalore?"

"Yeah." Clara nodded.

The Doctor swallowed. "Oh, dear." He quickly lifted his head from Lexi's shoulder and abruptly stood up from the couch. "Sorry." He apologized before running outside.

Lexi went after him immediately. Clara and Lucas went to follow her, but she stopped them.

"Don't." Lexi told them, her hands on their shoulders. "Just... give us a few minutes."

With that, she spun around and rushed out of the house, leaving a worried Lucas and Clara standing there.

Inside, TARDIS, Console room...

Lexi walked down the stairs to see the Doctor sitting under the time rotor, his head in his hands.

"Trenzalore." Lexi repeated the name.

"I've heard it, of course." He sighed. "So have you."

"I remember." She nodded, swallowing the lump in her throat. "Suppose things catch up with you eventually, eh?... Dorium knew it would."

"And now that's where we have to go." The Doctor shook his head. "But why?... Why now?" He growled in frustration before standing up and storming over to Lexi, taking her face in his hands. "Why, Lex? Why do we have to go now?"

She put her hands over his as he held her face. "If I had a real answer, I would tell you." She then put a hand to his cheek. "But even I know you can't argue with time... No matter how hard we try."

"I don't want to leave you. You, or Jupiter, or Skyler. I'm not ready." He whispered, caressing Lexi's face with his thumbs. "I will never be ready."

"Neither will I." Lexi sniffled, the Doctor brushing away a few tears that escaped her eyes. "I made a promise a long time ago that I was never going to leave you... I just didn't think the roles could be reversed. I don't even know how long I can live now that... well, you know what River, Sky and Jupiter did to me."