Cold War [Part 3]

Inside, Submarine, Control room...

"Comrades, you know our situation." Captain Zhukov stated as he gave the crew an update on the situation. "The reactor is drowned, we are totally reliant on battery power and our air is running out. Rescue is unlikely, but we still have a mission to fulfill. If the Doctor is right, then we are all that stands between this creature and the destruction of the world." He said without a hint of humor in his tone. "Control of one missile is all he needs. We are expendable, comrades, our world is not. I know I can rely on every one of you to do his duty without fail. That is all."

"Even if a missile did get launched, that wouldn't be... it, would it?" Clara asked as she, Lucas, Sky, the Doctor and Lexi all stood by one of the banks of controls, watching Zhukov.

"It?" The Doctor blinked, glancing at her.

"End of the world. Game over." She clarified. "I mean, what if they fired one by accident? What would happen then?"

"Well, if you haven't noticed, Earth always seems to be like a storm that's waiting to break." Lucas chimed in, making them look in his direction. "And in this particular time period, there are two very prominent sides: the United States and Russia. Both sides baring their teeth, talking up war." He stated, not looking at them. "They're like a time bomb. It would only take one tiny spark." He then glanced at them when he didn't hear them respond. "What? I just talked with my classes about the Cold War just three weeks ago. History is what I do."

"Impressive, Lucas." Lexi smiled, crossing her arms.

"But the world didn't end in 1983, did it?" Clara asked. "Or Lucas and I wouldn't be here."

"No, but history's in flux. It can be changed. Re-written." The Doctor shook his head before walking away from them, going over to Captain Zhukov. "How many of us are left?"

"Twelve." He answered. "And we can't find Stepashin."

"I suggest we split up and comb the sub." Sky chimed in, stepping up beside his father. "One team should stay here to guard the bridge."

"That's it?" Zhukov questioned. "That's the plan?"

"Yep." Lexi clapped her hands together, stepping up on the other side of the Doctor. "Or if you prefer, we can stay here and wait for him to kill us."

"Fine." Zhukov conceded.

"Is it true you've never seen one outside of its armor?" Lucas asked.

"For an Ice Warrior to leave its armour is the gravest dishonour." The Doctor nodded. "Skaldak is desperate, he is deadly and we have got to find him."

"Will these help?" Grisenko asked, holding up three familiar items.

"Ah! You saved them!" The Doctor grinned, taking his sonic screwdriver as Lexi and Sky took back theirs, looking them over.

"No, no, they were on the floor with this." Grisenko held up the Barbie doll.

Lexi bit her lip in thought for a moment before experimentally activating her sonic and using its laser setting to disintegrate the doll. "Still works." She grinned, tossing her sonic up in the air and catching it in her hand. "Professor, I could kiss you."