Chapter 1

"Quickly, Paladins!" Allura yelled over the comm, "You only have a short period of time before the wormhole closes!"

It was in the midst of a battle with an enormous fleet, and in the centre resided Zarkon. While the paladins had been well prepared, a fierce attack had left Pidge weak and unable to fight on much longer. Deciding not to risk further injury, they all concluded to turn back to prevent it from getting any worse.

"Alright team," Shiro commanded, "Head back as quick as possible. Hunk, help Pidge as much as you can - I don't want anymore casualties"

The yellow lion began nudging green along, propelling both of them towards the wormhole.

"I got ya Pidge" Hunk said cheerfully, every word lifting her spirits.
"Thanks Hunk" She replied shakily, her head throbbing slightly.

"You'd better hurry up, we only have a few more ticks until their forcefield will be reactivated. Anyone still inside will be trapped" Coran chimed in.

"Are we all clear?" Shiro asked.
"I am" Hunk answered.
"Mhm" Pidge muttered.

A pause.

"Keith, Lance, are you clear?" Shiro questioned, concern bleeding through into his normally controlled tone.
"We're coming Shiro, I'm stuck behind Lance though. I think he's struggling with something" Keith attempted to keep any arrogance out of his voice but it was clear he was going to mock Lance for this later.
"Shut... Up... Keith" Lance shot back through gritted teeth; his words were strained and he sounded slightly out of breath, as if he was fighting just to pilot his lion.

"Paladins, please don't take much longer." Allura urged, "I'm not sure how long I'll be able to hold this"
"Don't worry Princess, we're being as fast as we can" Shiro replied, "Lance, what's happening?" the worry becoming more pronounced.
Hunk latched onto this glimmer of anxiety and was beginning to panic, "Yeah, are you okay buddy?"

"It's blue, it's like she's stopped listening to me!" Lance's voice wavered as he clung tightly to the controls. "I'm doing the best... I can to control it manually but... It's getting... It's getting really tough" he grunted as he tried his best to maintain control over the blue lion.

"I'll see what I can do" Keith responded, attempting to push the Lance's lion the same way Hunk had done for Pidge. Keith could feel the immense pressure as blue attempted to wiggle out of Lance's grip and he began to feel a bubble of concern grow in his chest; if it was this tough on him, how draining must this be for Lance?

"Are you doing okay, Lance?" Keith queried.
"Dandy." Lance snapped back, his voice uncharacteristically sharp.

Shiro stepped in before it turned nasty because that was the last thing the team needed right now, "You're nearly there guys, just a little bit more and we'll try and figure out what's going on with the blue lion."

"Almost there, almost there, almost there" Lance mumbled to himself like a mantra, "almost there, just a few more feet girl, come on"
Just as they were about to meet the rest of the paladins on the other side, the blue lion veered off, dragging the red lion with it. They were thrown from side to side as the blue lion moved erratically and hit debris from the various destroyed ships.

"I've lost control completely! I don't know what she's doing!" Lance shrieked. His shrieking was paralleled by Keith's own yelling, as the young men were flung side to side helplessly.

The rest of the team were forced to watch as the forcefield reactivated and Lance and Keith were trapped. "There's nothing we can do!" Coran cried, "The boys are stuck there until we get a chance to come back!"

Dread settled in everyone's stomach as Allura pressured Hunk, Pidge and Shiro through the wormhole; "We can't have you all stuck there, you need to get to this wormhole right now" she pressed.

Pidge struggled to stay conscious as she made her way to the wormhole. You better come back was her last thought before she made the wormhole jump.
Hunk turned back and winced as the blue lion pushed both Keith and Lance into the side of a ship. He whispered a silent prayer before he made his way to Pidge, keeping her lion steady.
Shiro looked at the two lions, battered and scratched, and felt utterly helpless. "We're coming back for you" he said. He then joined the rest of the team and entered the wormhole.

Lance and Keith grunted and groaned as the were hurtled from ship to ship, fear and uncertainty filling them. The wormhole closed and the two boys felt truly alone. Lance had long since given up on trying to subdue the blue lion and Keith had stopped attempting to avoid her bucks and pushes.

Blue crashed particularly hard into the side of a ship and one line echoed in Lance's head:

"We're coming back for you"

And then his world faded to black.

**********

How was that? Not too awful i hope! I feel like i was a bit too repetitive at times but i hope it's okay. This is my first fic so if anybody reads this, tell me what you think.
Also, can anybody tell me where the art is from on this chapter? I love it and id love to properly credit it BUT I STG NOBODY GIVES PROPER CREDIT ON PINTEREST.
I have a couple ideas but im not too sure and id love to get some inspiration or feedback.
It's late, ive probably made a tonne of mistakes but im sure its all cool.
We'll have to wait and see...