Chapter 18

His arms filled with Lance's stuff - clothes, pictures, trinkets and products - Keith approached the hangar. He stepped into his lion and dumped the contents of his arm into his lion.

Moving as quickly as possible in order to avoid being stopped by anyone, he quickly started up the red lion and flew off. He travelled as fast as his lion would allow, searching for the nearest planet. The red paladin soon approached a planet, relatively small and quite barren. The planet was a large land mass, with only rivers breaking it up here and there.

It was mainly made up of desert, but the sand was bright red and it wasn't quite as hot as a desert on Earth would be. The rivers that were interspersed across the planet were a stunning blue, reminiscent of the sky. Red rocky masses protruded from the sand and water would gush down from these in a beautiful waterfall.

Keith landed the red lion and bundled Lance's stuff into his arms before he disembarked the lion. He walked to a nearby waterfall and dumped Lance's personal items onto the warm sand. He worked quickly, not wanting to be traced and caught by his teammates before he was finished.

He arranged the items into a steady pile and pulled a lighter out of one of his pouches; he had always carried it with him on Earth, should he ever need it. Keith attempted to light a shirt on fire to no avail so decided to change his tactic. He snatched up a deodorant from the heap and thoroughly coated every item in it. The mound caught a lot faster this time, exploding into flames instantly.

Keith watched it burn, a scowl on his face. With it, he burnt every memory and feeling he every had for Lance, singeing them black. He would no longer reminisce of their shared moments. He would no longer wish to be close to Lance. He would no longer want to save Lance. He would no longer relish in their brief jokes and playful jibes. Every thought would now be burnt and abhorred.
With his possessions, Lance burnt in Keith's mind.

Keith remained motionless, only walking away when all that was left was weakly burning embers and charred remains. He stepped away from the pile and walked towards the river that he was next to. The red paladin imagined that what remained of Voltron would be on their way already. He might as well wait it out until they arrived rather than start to head back.

He sat himself down at the bank of the river and pulled off his shoes and socks, dipping his feet into the water. It was surprisingly warm and pleasant, though a little deeper than he first imagined. The surface of the water was a beautiful sapphire, more stunning than any view on Earth.

It was so enticing that Keith couldn't help pulling of his jacket and pouches and diving in: not caring that he was still wearing his trousers and shirt. He resurfaced and looked at the waterfall, the water a glistening Caribbean blue. It reminded him of a pair of familiar eyes. Eyes he hated. To avoid looking at that painful blue, he dove under the water surface and swam as far down as he could.

The unexpected depth of the river surprised him once again as he found himself unable to see the bottom. He struggled to swim a bit as his jeans and shirt held him down quite significantly. It didn't bother him too much as he pushed against the water since he was trying to go down, trying to get away from his memories. He burnt everything to avoid thinking about Lance and this waterfall was an unwanted reminder.

Keith continued to swim down, doing all he could to escape from the former paladin's taunts. He didn't care when he started to feel his breath strain against his chest. He didn't care when his vision began to faulter, black patches beginning to appear. He didn't care when his air escaped from his lungs and water painfully took it's place. He didn't care as his lungs burned and his body began to shut down. The pain he was in was nothing compared to the excruciating pain Lance had put him through.

This was it. Keith thought out his goodbyes to his teammates. To the friends and allies he had made in space. To any loved ones that may still be out there.

This hadn't been his intention, he had meant to just burn the memories and items and go but just a simple reminder of Lance had caused him so much pain; he knew he just couldn't do it. Besides, maybe Lance was right. Maybe he really wasn't wanted. Maybe nobody really would miss him.

Keith's body slowed as his will to fight got sapped out of him. He fell still and gave up. What's the point in reaching for the surface?

Here it was. The end.

*******

Before you flip out, no this isn't the end of the book, there's plenty more to come.

Sorry for the hiatus, im worse than Steven universe lmao. Jkjk but im back now and should start updating every friday again.

Did you like the oneshot? Should I do more? Lemme know b :)

Later nerds (btw, i didn't check this chapter at alllll so sorry if there are any glaring errors)

(Also, sorry if you keep seeing updates for the same part, i just keep fucking up lol)