Happy Birthday

Art credit: applepiyaa on tumblr

This is a one shot unrelated to the events of the story.

**********

Keith rolled out of bed, landing painfully on the floor. He rubbed the base of his spine as it throbbed angrily at the rough landing.

He sat up and scratched his head, working his fingers through the tangled mess of hair on his head. He slowly stood up and shuffled over to his wardrobe. He picked out his normal clothes and chucked them into his bed, ready for him after he finished his shower.

He wandered into the bathroom, stepping out of his pyjamas and into the shower stall. After shampooing and conditioning his hair and scrubbing himself clean, he exited the stall and walked over to the mirror. Keith always loved having the water temperature unnaturally high so steam coated the mirror and floated around the room.

Written in the steam on the mirror was Did you forget what day it is? in big bold letters. Keith chucked to himself softly, rubbing the letters off the mirror in order to see himself. Shiro had left this message every single year after one year Keith completely forgot it was his birthday. Sometimes it was on a post-it note, sometimes it was spelt out with alphabetti spaghetti; apparently this year it was written in the mirror.

Keith didn't notice anyone coming into his bathroom so it must have been done last night at some point. He shook his head, Shiro is nothing if not determined.

He looked at his reflection, grabbing a brush and working through his hair. When it was more or less tamed, he dried off and left the bathroom. He dressed himself but opted to leave his jacket and then left down the hall.

He entered the kitchen to find Hunk stirring the contents of a bowl wildly. Hunk looked up from the food and smiled warmly at Keith. "Oh hey Keith," he said, wiping his face and managing to smear batter across it, "Happy Birthday!"

Keith sighed, hoisting himself up into the counter top and sitting, "Shiro told you?" He groaned. Hunk laughed "Well of course he did, silly. It's your birthday, we gotta celebrate."

Keith leaned forward and swiped batter off of the counter - where some of it had been splattered - on his fingertip and tasted it. "Cake mix?" Keith said with a slight grimace.

Hunk's face dropped. "Yeah..? Does it not taste good or something?" He froze "Oh quiznack, don't tell me you're allergic to cake or something." Keith shook his head violently, feeling awful for meeting Hunk feel bad. "No no no no no! Nothing like that! It tastes great, I just didn't want anyone to make a big fuss of my birthday. It's just another day, after all."

Hunk relaxed and resumed stirring. "It's not just 'another day' it's your day and if you think we're not gonna make a fuss then you're dead wrong." Hunk put down the bowl and started shooing Keith off the counter and out of the room. "Anyways, you're contaminating my work space, out out out. You don't need to fix yourself some food goo, I already made you something. It should be in the dining room."

With one final gentle shove, Keith was pushed out of the kitchen and into the hall. He began walking down the corridor, grumbling to himself about Shiro's betrayal. Shiro had promised not to tell anybody about Keith's birthday and yet "somehow" Hunk had found out.

Keith sighed once again and stepped into the dining room where a plate of pancakes - although they appeared to be light pink in colour - was waiting for him. He quickly tucked in, smothering the stack in a syrupy mixture and devouring it. He had just finished the last bite of the pancakes when Pidge burst in.