Chapter 22

The song is way too long for the chapter lmao sorry, i picked it on a whim

**********

Keith tensed up, spinning slowly on his heels to face the voice. He knew it was Lance but still, when he saw his face his heart battered against his ribcage, as if beating to leap right out.

He looked up to Lance's grinning face, tensing as he relived their previous encounter. "What do you want?" Keith said, bristling slightly. Lance's grin widened goofily, saying "I want to dance, obviously." As if he hadn't literally ran away from Keith the last time they had seen each other.

The red paladin noticed that Lance was swaying to and fro ever so slightly and his cheeks were flushed. Keith sighed, mumbling "fuck it" quietly, and threw back his drink before placing his empty glass on a tray. He looked up at Lance and sighed again; "Alright then. Let's dance." He said, sounding resigned.

Lance squealed and clutched onto Keith's wrist tightly, dragging him to the centre of the room. He positioned the red paladin's hands - one on his waist, the other grasping his own - and quickly had them whirling around the room. They were a little too close for Keith to be comfortable and he couldn't help but notice the many glances they were getting.

"Hey Lance," Keith began, "Where's Lotor?"
"Hm?" Lance responded, clearly dragged out of some train of thought, "Oh right! Yeah he went off with some ladies. I'm honestly not certain where he is."

Keith mentally kicked himself, of course he was nothing more than a rebound, a tool to make Lotor jealous. His heart sank and he detached himself from Lance abruptly. "Listen, buddy." He started, "This was a mistake. I'm sorry about last time, that was way out of line but I think I should go..."

The red paladin started to walk away when he felt arms wind around his waist and someone press themselves to his back. He sighed: "Lance please don't make this harder than it has to be."

"Maybe it's not hard for you. But I've run away from you too many times and for once I want to face you. I'm not letting you slip away." Lance pleaded, tightening his grip around Keith's waist.

Keith swiveled in Lance's arms, placing a hand on his chest in a weak attempt to push him away. "Don't do this, Lance. I know how this is going to go; we'll spend time together, I'm going to think we're finally getting somewhere, you'll push me away and then you'll apologise. Repeat. I don't know how much longer I can do it!"

Lance took a breath, starting to respond when Keith held up a finger and stepped out of his loosened grip. "I get that you want to get Lotor's attention and maybe I'm an easy target but I just can't take much more of this."

The staring eyes of those around the pair were entirely focused on Lance and his response. The paladin swallowed thickly and tried to ignore the curious gazes and glares on his back. "Keith," he began, his voice wobbling ever so slightly, "I know I've messed up, doing everything to push you away and running from you."

He paused, trying to formulate his words carefully. "But I will do everything I can to prove that I'm doing this for you, not for Lotor."

"So please," he said extending out his hand, "Can I have this dance?"

**********

Ok so this is a bit shorter than i wanted it to be but i really just didn't want to fall out of the flow of writing so i hope that's ok

But its our first proper bit of klance hip-hurrah! I don't actually ship Lancelot that much lmao so sorry if you came for some wholesome Lotor love

I love love love reading and responding to comments so don't be afraid to flood me with them

K bye