Chapter 16

TW: Mild gore and blood.
Art Credit: ikimaru.tumblr or ikimaru.jpg on insta

**********

Keith stumbled as he staggered into the banquet hall. He tripped and landed painfully on his shoulder, hissing through is gritted teeth.

Slowly, he picked himself off of the floor and looked out the window. Though everything was tinted red through his hazy vision, Keith could see the beautiful view of space. He carefully walked closer to the window and made his way towards the shattered glass. A shimmery barrier had been formed over it - presumably to stop everyone from being sucked into space - but the view from that gap didn't match that of the rest of the window.

Upon closer inspection, it became clear to Keith that the stunning scene was just a high quality image on the glass. It was like a hologram and shifted depending on where you saw it from so it looked realistic but where the window was broken, nothing but blackness could be seen on the other side. The beauty was just a facade.

After collecting his strength, Keith used his bayard to barrel through a different point in the window and was sucked out into space.

His helmet closed around his face and he began to haphazardly propel himself to where the red lion was waiting for him. He turned back to look at the ship; a particle barrier had already formed over the second hole he left in the window, protecting the interior of the ship.

The red paladin entered the red lion and shuffled over to the controls. Using the cube, he set a course back to the castle and sank back into his chair.

He pulled of his helmet, wincing as it ripped at the cut in his head. Keith raised a hand to his scalp and gently touched it. The wound throbbed angrily and more blood gushed from it. His hair was matted and stuck to his head, soaked with blood. His face was sticky and red, his vision blurred and stained crimson.

He could feel his head getting light and everything would occasionally fade into grey. He had traveled quite far but he knew he wasn't going to get to the castle before he blacked out.

He fumbled with the cube, attempting to recall Pidge's instructions on how to call for help. He had to twist something? Without really knowing what he was doing, Keith twisted the cube in half. A glowing green light came from the split in the middle and a rhythmic ping echoed out, likely tracking his position.

He sat back and rested his head against his chair, closing his eyes against the constant pain in his head. He felt blood trickle down the back of his neck and it wasn't long before he began to slip into unconsciousness.
-----

"Pidge, I'm thoroughly disappointed in you. While I knew Keith would run the moment he knew where Lance was, I didn't expect you to encourage him." Shiro scolded Pidge, arms crossed angrily across his chest.

Pidge only nodded, keeping silent till the lecture was over. Why did he feel the need to tell her off? He's like a parent or something.

"And on top of all of this, you then lie to me to help Keith out? I'm very unhappy about all of this."

Pidge had zoned out by now, only nodding occasionally to give the illusion that she was still listening.

"...and don't think you'll be getting off lightly, oh no you'll have to..."

Was he still going on? He's worse than a parent, honestly.

"... in future I expect much more. We're paladins of Voltron, we're nothing if not..."

Pidge had stopped listening completely by now. She listened closely to the small beeping she was sure she could hear.

Suddenly, Pidge started sprinting; "Sorry Shiro but we have to go. Keith's in trouble."

Within dobashes, the team (Hunk, Pidge and Shiro) was assembled and in their lions, heading to Keith as fast as they could. Although it felt like an eternity, they eventually caught sight of the red lion.

Instantly, everyone left their lions and boarded red - searching for any Galra or even any sign of Lance. As Pidge stepped into the cockpit, the reason instantly became clear.

Blood. So much blood. The crimson liquid coated every surface, staining everything this bright shade. Walls, the chair, the floor, all thickly coated: the scent of copper wafted through the air and the bitter smell made Pidge gag. She rushed to Keith's side to get a better look at him. His normally pale face was scarlet, every crevace and line filled with liquid. His hair stuck to his scalp, clumped up and coagulated. The white of his armor matched the colour of his lion. He truly was the red paladin.

Everything was smothered with this ruby red liquid. Everything had a rusty tinge to it. There was so much blood, why was there so much blood?

Pidge couldn't hold it in any more, she screamed at the top of her lungs. Everything that had happened had built up to this and she couldn't hold it in anymore. The worst part was that Keith didn't even flinch; he stayed limp and scarily unresponsive.

Pidge could tell, Keith was fading fast and if they didn't do something soon they might not get him back.

**********

Ahh im sorry this is so bad! I didnt have enough time and i had to get this out of the way. It'll get better soon i promise! I haven't checked this at all so please point out any glaring mistakes

Unpopular opinion: i really liked s4 of voltron ://

Anyways, its late, i need sleep. See ya!