Chapter Eleven

"Hailey, what's wrong buttercup?" Madison pokes at my arm with the back of her pen, pulling me out of my deep brooding.

"Hmm?" I avert my gaze away from the white board and look over at her. Mrs. MaryL, my foods teacher, had a home made banana bread recipe written up on the board that we were suppose to be copying down, and baking tomorrow morning.

"You're quiet," she says.

I scoff softly and look down at my empty notebook. All I head written down on the top of the page was Banana Bread. "I'm always quiet, Madison."

"No, you're like extra quiet this morning," she points out. "Are you okay? How did things go Friday with you know who?" She says quietly, looking over at the other two students that sat at our small table.

A small sheepish smile starts to creep on my face, and I feel my cheeks starting to warm up. "It was great," I tell her. "He was.. I don't know." My voice begins to trail off.

"If they were great then why are you so pensive, Hailey? What's going on?"

I sigh shaking my head, "Isa-" I stop and look over at the two guys siting at our table, who are talking among themselves and look back at Madison. "He," I tell her. "Picked me up this morning and gave me a ride to school, and things didn't really go so well with my dad."

She lets out a small gasp, "holy crap! What happen? What did he say?"

"It wasn't anything like that. He actually wanted to meet my dad. He asked him if he can take me out, but of course my dad did what i was expecting him to do and was not okay with it one bit." Madison was about to say something when I quickly interrupted her, "but that's not what I'm upset about."

"Then what is it?"

"I don't even know," I shrug my shoulders. "I over heard some girls talking about him, about me, us, in my first period."

She shakes her head softly, "wait, what do you mean us?"

I smile sheeply again, "he walked me into class because I was late, and kind of made sure that I didn't get in trouble for it."

"Wow. It's getting pretty serious," she says sarcastically and I laugh softly.

"I'm scared," I confess. "What if they're right?" I tell her and she stares blankly at me. "The girls. What if I am just his next fling? What could he possibly see in me?" I ask her.

"Hailey, stop. Those girl's that probably said those things are most likely nothing more than envious, nasty, skank, bitches." I snort. "Don't freak yourself out over something that could be nothing. Take things slow, keep getting to know him. You're obviously someone special if he's giving you this much time. Come on, when's the last time you ever heard of Isaac Matteo hanging out with a girl at school, other than Angela?"

I nod. She was right, Isaac always did have girl attention on him, but I never once did see him hanging around any. Madison turns her head away to continue finish writing the recipe down, when I catch a glimpse of a small blemish at the back of her neck. "What's that?" I arch an eyebrow, knowing damn well what it was already. It's a hickey.

"What?" She turns to look at me. 

"That." I point my pencil towards her neck and she quickly fixes her hair so that it isn't so exposed. "Oh my God, is that from Ric?"

Now Madison's the one smiling sheepishly this time, she giggles softly and nods. "No way!" I squeal as softly as I can. "What happen? Tell me everything!"

She smiles and is about to say something when something behind me catches her attention. I turn to look back and see Mrs. Reese the school's vice principal standing under the door frame, but she's not alone, she's accompanied by none other than Isaac.