Exodus 1:1-1:22

The Israelites Oppressed

1 These are the names of the sons👬 of Israel👴🏻 who went to2️⃣ Egypt with Jacob👴🏻, each with his family👨‍👩‍👧‍👦: 2 Reuben👨🏻, Simeon👨🏼, Levi👨🏽 and Judah👨🏾; 3 Issachar👨🏿, Zebulun👨 and Benjamin👨🏻; 4 Dan👨🏼 and Naphtali👨🏽; Gad👨🏾 and Asher.👨🏿 5 The descendants of Jacob👴🏻 numbered#️⃣ seventy7️⃣0️⃣ in all; Joseph👨 was 🅰️already in Egypt.

6 Now Joseph👨 and all his brothers👬 and all that generation 💀died💀, 7 but the Israelites👴🏻 were exceedingly 🍇🍈🍉🍊🍋🍌🍍fruitful🍎🍏🍐🍑🍒🍓🥝; they multiplied✖️ greatly👍👌👌, increased⬆️ in numbers#️⃣ and 🐝became so numerous#️⃣ that the land🗺️ was filled with them👥.

8 Then a🅰️ new🆕 👑king🤴, to2️⃣ whom Joseph👨 meant ❌nothing❌, came to2️⃣ 💥power💥 in Egypt. 9 “Look👁️,” he said🗣️ to2️⃣ his people👥, “the Israelites👥 have 🐝become far too2️⃣ numerous#️⃣ for4️⃣ us👥. 10 Come, we must deal shrewdly with them👥 or they👥 will 🐝become even more numerous#️⃣ and, if war breaks out, will join our enemies, fight 🅰️against us👥 and leave the country🌐."

11 So they👥 put slave masters over them to2️⃣ oppress😖 them with forced labor, and they👥 ⛏️⚒️built🛠️🔨 Pithom and Rameses as store cities🏙️ for4️⃣ Pharaoh👳.12 But the more they👥 were oppressed😖, the more they multiplied✖️ and spread; so the Egyptians came to2️⃣ dread the Israelites👥 13 and worked them ruthlessly😧. 14 They👥 ⛏️⚒️made🛠️🔨 their lives bitter😧 with harsh labor in brick🏚️ and mortar and with 🅰️all kinds of work😧 in the fields🏞️; in 🅰️all their harsh labor😧 the Egyptians worked them ruthlessly😧.

15 The 👑king🤴 of Egypt said🗣️ to2️⃣ the Hebrew midwives👭, whose names were Shiphrah and Puah, 16 “When you are helping the Hebrew women👭 during childbirth🤰 on🔛 the delivery stool, if you see that the baby👶 is a🅰️ boy👦, ☠️kill☠️ him; but if it is a🅰️ girl👧, let her live.” 17 The midwives👭, however, feared😱 God and did 🚫not🚫 do what the 👑king🤴 of Egypt had told🗣️ them to2️⃣ do; they👥 let the boys👬 live. 18 Then the 👑king🤴 of Egypt summoned the midwives👭 and asked🗣️ them👥, “Why have you done this❓ Why have you let the boys👬 live❓”

19 The midwives👭 answered🗣️ Pharaoh👳, “Hebrew women👭 are 🚫not🚫 like Egyptian women👭; they are vigorous and give birth🤰 🐝before4️⃣ the midwives👭 arrive.”

20 So God was kind to2️⃣ the midwives👭 and the people👥 increased⬆️ and 🐝became even more numerous#️⃣. 21 And 🐝because the midwives👭 feared😱 God, he gave them families👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 of their own.

22 Then Pharaoh👳 gave this order🗣️ to2️⃣ all his people👥: “Every Hebrew boy👦 that is born🤰 you must throw into2️⃣ the Nile🏞️, but let every girl👧 live.”